Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRegina King directed a movie - Malcolm X, Ali, etc (One Night in Miami)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=739896
739896, Regina King directed a movie - Malcolm X, Ali, etc (One Night in Miami)
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Sun Nov-22-20 02:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZprXMxKg--w

Looks good. She's becoming quite the force.
740395, Highly recommended.
Posted by Numba_33, Sat Jan-16-21 01:09 PM
Regina King did a stellar job as the storytelling was very fluid for the most part. The dude that played Ali did his damn thing as well. This was a minor part of the movie, but the fight choreography was damn good as well as the boxing looked pretty realistic. In most films, the boxing shots look like a video game; I like how the defensive/footwork used by Ali was portrayed.

Hopefully this gets viewed by a ton a folks.
740397, Thought it was brilliant also
Posted by ProgressiveSound, Sat Jan-16-21 05:30 PM
Yeah.. about the boxing being realistic. I noticed that too and was surprised like “oh this movie is serious “
740398, So what's the protocol when translating a play to a movie?
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Sat Jan-16-21 08:59 PM
It was about 15-20 minutes I was like "Are they going to leave this room?"
Then it kinda hit me that this was based on a play, then the rest made sense.
I didn't know that going in.

So when a play is translated to the big screen,
is it important to stay true to that style?
740403, It depends
Posted by navajo joe, Sun Jan-17-21 01:15 PM
I felt that same sense you did before remembering, "Oh this was a play"

Moonlight was based on a play (albeit one that was never produced) but really only feels like it during the diner scene.

Foley's "Glengarry Glen Ross" very clearly feels like an play (similar to ONIM). I think it depends on various factors/choices like if the play is largely set in a single-location or central interior location, over a condensed period of time, with a small cast and is very dialogue driven that would play a significant role shaping the adaptation. In ONIM's case, the sense of being constrained and "yo, are these fools gonna leave this damn room?" is important to the central themes and the blocking of the actors takes on takes on added importance as it would in a play where you don't have the ability of camera angles/the edit (albeit less-so because King still was making a film and cinematography/edit is really important esp. when the crux of the story is characters talking)

Off the top, I think musicals or plays of sweeping scope/scale would allow for more flexibility. While they did a filmed performance version of "Hamilton," you can very clearly see how a movie version could feel nothing like a stage play beyond the musical elements due to the sweep of its scope.

While they chose to do a filmed performance of Hamilton.

Another set of examples Friedkin's adaptation of Letts' play, "Bug" (largely set in a hotel room with very few characters) vs. his adaptation of Letts' play, "Killer Joe" where you could easily not know the latter originated as a play( due to the multiple locations, larger cast) and just think it was a small little indie film.

Like all things, I think it comes down to the source material in terms of both content and structure and therefore it's not really a protocol beyond "what's the best way to tell this story?"
740408, For me, Ma Rainey's had some good examples of what not to do
Posted by Nodima, Sun Jan-17-21 11:15 PM
Glengarry is one of my favorite examples of what to do because it feels like a play without ever forgetting it's a movie. A Few Good Men might still be the shining example of totally converting a play to a movie, though. I bet most people that watch that movie on TNT or whatever don't even know Sorkin wrote that as a play first.

But Ma Rainey has multiple points in it where you can tell it's just lifting the stage direction from the play, and when you're sitting in a theater with the lighting and the atmosphere and the sound it'd feel just right, but on the small screen you're left wondering why this character or that character is downplaying this or that moment. It's harder to feel their resignation to the circumstances with that separation.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
740412, RE: For me, Ma Rainey's had some good examples of what not to do
Posted by navajo joe, Mon Jan-18-21 11:15 AM
I think my omission of a A Few Good Men only furthers your point. I TOTALLY forgot that was actually a play and didn't even think to bring it up. Great example.

I've yet to sit down and watch Ma Rainey so I can't speak on it yet. I look forward to watching it in context of this conversation and in relation to One Night in Miami as adaptations
740421, Exactly. For example when a character tells a story...
Posted by soulfunk, Tue Jan-19-21 01:20 PM
In Ma Rainey when Chadwick tells the story of his father he does a 3-4 minute monologue just telling the story, while the camera never leaves the room he and the band are in. Absolutely feels like watching a play.

On the other hand - in One Night in Miami when Malcolm tells the story of Sam's concert in Boston they cut from the hotel to actually show what happened at the concert, with the camera showing both he and Sam's perspective. THAT makes it feel like a film, instead of just hearing the story told to the other characters in the hotel room.

In both examples the actor gets a monologue moment, but in Ma Rainey the play "feeling" takes away from the impact. In One Night in Miami they had to put in some work to make that concert scene happen - all those extras in the crowd, the band up on stage showing Jackie Wilson's performance, etc...but it's definitely worth it.

>But Ma Rainey has multiple points in it where you can tell
>it's just lifting the stage direction from the play, and when
>you're sitting in a theater with the lighting and the
>atmosphere and the sound it'd feel just right, but on the
>small screen you're left wondering why this character or that
>character is downplaying this or that moment. It's harder to
>feel their resignation to the circumstances with that
>separation.
740508, really excellent comparison...i hadn't thought about that
Posted by Damali, Wed Jan-27-21 03:16 PM
at the same time, i'm glad to not have that scene of his momma getting gang raped included in the film

d

"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly
740411, Thanks for the breakdown.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Mon Jan-18-21 10:27 AM
740413, No doubt
Posted by navajo joe, Mon Jan-18-21 11:19 AM
I'm not particularly well-versed in theater and by extension theatrical adaptions but it's hard to go wrong with "It depends", lol.
740407, Was outstanding
Posted by Amritsar, Sun Jan-17-21 09:10 PM
I thought it was going to be cheesy going into it. But was pleasantly surprised

Odom as Sam Cooke was perfect right down to the voice. My goodness. When he was singing Change Gonna Come at the end it felt like he was channeling Sam.

Very emotional shot too given the moment.
740415, man this was so fucking good.
Posted by Reeq, Mon Jan-18-21 07:19 PM
seriously everybody was perfect.
740424, I give it an A just had one issue with it (spoiler)
Posted by lightworks, Tue Jan-19-21 08:55 PM
I didn't really care that Jim stopped playing football to act, felt like a weak link given all the important things that happened to the other 3.
740426, Agreed on that point. Especially because of how strong his
Posted by soulfunk, Wed Jan-20-21 09:43 AM
opening scene was. For the other three characters, their epilogue tied into what was shown in their opening scenes to show the development through the film.

Jim Brown's opening scene may have stood out the most with him visiting dude who was so nice to him until revealed to be still racist. They may have intended there to be a connection to his retirement - that he didn't like having white people who were "fans" of him on the football field but still saw him as a nigger who wouldn't be allowed in their home, but they didn't really tie that together with him retiring or connect it with him pursuing the career in acting.

>I didn't really care that Jim stopped playing football to
>act, felt like a weak link given all the important things that
>happened to the other 3.
740435, Agreed!
Posted by lightworks, Thu Jan-21-21 09:47 AM
Maybe they should had a moment where he is telling about that encounter in an interview and how it changed how he felt, that maybe would have been a good way to connect all of it.
740495, It’s subjective
Posted by spirit, Mon Jan-25-21 10:14 AM
Might mean more to you if you were aware of how impactful he was to his sport at the time

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com
740504, RE: It’s subjective
Posted by Amritsar, Tue Jan-26-21 02:54 PM
Yeah It presupposes that we have at least some background on Jim

But I can also understand someone who isn’t necessarily a football fan knowing that. Generational thing too
740481, up
Posted by navajo joe, Sat Jan-23-21 09:11 PM
740482, Regina is King. (and whoops...)
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sun Jan-24-21 09:14 AM
(whoops....mods feel free to delete my other post, this thread here didnt come up when i searched so i started another late thread yesterday by mistake)

Regina King. Period.

...didnt think it was possible but ive become even MORE of a Regina King fan after seeing this.

She Directed this one and it pulled me in from the start and KEPT me in to the finish. THOROUGHLY entertaining on a VARIETY of levels, (including comedic, which somewhat surprising given the weighty main themes being explored). I pretty much loved ALL of her choices! Kudos Mz King!!!

Kudos to the entire cast too....they all nailed every single one of their roles.

Loved it, really loved it.
740501, Regina King's career path is amazing to witness.
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Tue Jan-26-21 10:07 AM
740494, An acting clinic
Posted by spirit, Mon Jan-25-21 10:13 AM
She did an incredible job directing the actors.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com
740500, It was really well done and I really enjoyed most of it but...
Posted by Hitokiri, Tue Jan-26-21 09:46 AM
I question the fictitious elements. Like... were they necessary?
Of course I'm speaking about the idea that Malcolm or this particular night had anything to do with A Chance Is Gonna Come. The song was actually released BEFORE this night ever happened.
As soon as I saw them going down that road I was like wait wait wait. Hold up. And then they just went on down that road.
740505, Yeah I was really taken aback that they went down that route...
Posted by lightworks, Tue Jan-26-21 03:14 PM
Disappointing to learn that it was released before that night...

Not that the whole movie hinges on that one moment but it kinda feels like it did lol.