Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThey'll be back but the shape of the industry might change
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=739802&mesg_id=739804
739804, They'll be back but the shape of the industry might change
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Tue Nov-10-20 08:51 PM
Streaming is here for good, given that Mulan and other major movies premiered on streaming platforms rather than in the theater. That trend is probably going to tick up as movie studios work out better deals with Netflix and the like or just start up their own platforms.

I don't visit theaters often but generally enjoy the experience more than watching at home. My home setup is pretty good, but there's just an almost mystical quality to sitting in a large room with a hundred or more people to be quiet and spellbound for a couple of hours.

But with the cost to attend a movie increasing so much over the last several years, home setups becoming more and more immersive and now moviegoers establishing the habit to watch new movies through streaming services, the movie theater may be under a legitimate threat.

For as much value I believe there is in shared group experiences, we're just a less social society in a traditional sense. Cinema has survived many existential threats before and will likely do the same now.