Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectMore thoughts - this may be my favorite episode.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=739717&mesg_id=739879
739879, More thoughts - this may be my favorite episode.
Posted by soulfunk, Fri Nov-20-20 09:15 AM
It really encompasses everything that defines this show. The plot of this episode is essentially a side quest that moves Mando forward in his overall mission. His quest is to get the Child to his kind. At this point he's on his was to take the Child to Ahsoka, but his ship needs to be repaired. Side quest!

But this episode takes that "side quest" vibe and is able to very successfully move the plot further in unexpected ways. We reconnect with Greef and Cara, we get some of the best worldbuilding of the series - more awareness of the status of both the Imperial remnants and the New Republic.

We get story callbacks from all over the first season, and also some nice possible foreshadowing of the future. Will Cara end up joining with the New Republic? Maybe the Resistance in the future? Now that the Empire is gone from Navaro, it's likely going to expand as a major trading post in the outer rim, with Greef in charge.

We continue to get absolutely amazing action scenes for a TV show. That speeder chase/tie chase/Razor Crest save was incredible - they just keep dishing out movie blockbuster level action and effects.

On top of ALL THIS, we also get major plot revelations regarding the big question from the first season - what does Gideon want with the Child. They perfectly integrated this into all of the action of the episode. We see Dr. Pershing's transmission talking about his midichlorian count (great world building to hear him call it "m-count" for short), Mando and the crew find out Moff Gideon is still alive, we see the failed experimental bodies in the tanks, we see Gideon with Dark Troopers or something, etc.

We're at the point in the season where we can REALLY see it building towards a huge climax - Gideon is tracking the Razor Crest and Mando is heading towards Ahsoka. but in addition to that we know that Bo-Katan is looking for Gideon to get the dark saber - Greef will want to be sure the Empire is completely gone, the New Republic may also get into the mix to get rid of Gideon (again showing how the spider episode was important - introducing us to Paul Sun-Hyung Lee's character and letting us know that some of those X-Wing pilots are cool and may help Mando), etc. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Mando ends up giving the Boba Fett armor back to Cobb Vanth so he also ends up helping in some way.

Last point, just a subtle example of how good of a job Carl Weathers did directing this. When Mando left his ship with Greef's crew to get repaired, the camera lingered on that one mechanic JUST the perfect amount of time. Got my attention that he may end up doing something shady, but was quick enough that I totally forgot about it until we saw him talking to Greef about the tracking device at the end. Just a beautiful setup for another setup into the next episode.