Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectBorat Subsequent Moviefilm (Woliner, 2020)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=739685
739685, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm (Woliner, 2020)
Posted by Ryan M, Fri Oct-23-20 11:37 AM
Maria Bakalova is a star.

This is quite the accomplishment. Is it as good as the first one? Probably not. That was a different time and most people didn't know the Borat character. But this one definitely has it's "Throw the Jew down the well" moment, as well as perhaps the single most cringeworthy dance scene since David Brent.

But SBC's co-star is the reason this succeeds. He's smart enough to know Borat can't carry the stunts - and she's incredible and as committed as he is.
739686, Dropping it right before the debate was perfect.
Posted by Ceej, Fri Oct-23-20 03:33 PM
739687, Only a few laugh-out-loud moments for me, but still enjoyed it
Posted by stylez dainty, Fri Oct-23-20 03:56 PM
These comedies are always better to watch with other people, not alone on a laptop. But I agree with what a lot of the critics are saying about it having an actual plot and character development. The daughter is great. Weirdly enough, a lot of the best stuff was between the two main actors.

None of the real people are shocking, because none of them are worse or even really all that close to the awfulness of the president who we've had to deal with on a minute-by-minute basis for the last five years.

Guliani is unreal. If he was a fictional sycophant creep character in a movie, you'd roll your eyes at how unrealistic he was. But we knew that long before this.

Rough time to be in the shock comedy business. They did the right thing by leaning into the unexpected heart string stuff. Things are so bad, even Borat is rejecting the status quo of cruelty.

739688, His HBO show is the best thing he ever did imo
Posted by makaveli, Fri Oct-23-20 09:55 PM
I used to be high laughing my balls off at that show every week. I will probably check out the new movie this weekend.
739689, There is a lot to be said about the daughter arc
Posted by Nopayne, Sat Oct-24-20 01:17 AM
We've seen a couple of sequels awkwardly work daughters into their plots over the years but I thought this one was pretty good. She wasn't a female Borat but had an actual individual with a set of motivations.