Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI feel like we see horror movies the same way
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=739625&mesg_id=739645
739645, I feel like we see horror movies the same way
Posted by will_5198, Fri Oct-16-20 09:42 PM
I don't believe in supernatural horror either, so a lot of it doesn't resonate. the Conjuring series bored me to tears. and the strict gore movies are mostly banal or even unintentionally hilarious.

conversely, Hereditary was also one of my favorites of any genre two years ago, because it was just extremely well-made. enjoyed It Follows and The Babadook because they had interesting premises and didn't overstay themselves. The Cabin in the Woods was OK; I got the meta part but it wasn't as purely entertaining to me.

I haven't watched much Asian horror, but Audition stands out in my memory for a few truly creepy scenes. The Wailing was interesting, but too long.

I also like the classics: Halloween is great, the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Exorcist was surprisingly obscene...the latter two I saw for the first time in the last decade, and they still held up.

my recommendation would be Green Room (2015) -- Saulnier is divisive and it's more of a thriller, but it definitely uses violence and macabre in a way that the Saw rip-offs never could. I like The Witch (2015) quite a bit as well, even it took me about 3 start-stops to finish it.