Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectEh...I think Longo was right all along.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=739505&mesg_id=740872
740872, Eh...I think Longo was right all along.
Posted by soulfunk, Fri Mar-05-21 02:06 PM
The finale was good, but I was left with a feeling that it (and the entire show) could have been GREAT. Part of that is on me - I fell into the pit of trying to come up with theories on what was happening, which usually leads to unmet expectations. But at the same time I feel like part of that is on Marvel and the way they structured this show. There were several story elements that were purposefully there to generate buzz around predictions, like casting Evan Peters.

I don't mind having red herrings and misdirects, but I feel like they should pay off in some way. In the case of this show those misdirects served to make the stakes seem higher than they actually were. I came to that realization a couple episodes ago (I posted this above as well) that since this is in the timeline before Far From Home, the stakes were never really that high here with the MCU world just moving along at that point like nothing happened.

Longo was also right about the secondary story lines. Monica was the most interesting, and yeah that character is set up for something more in the future, but we didn't get much here at all. Never found out who her engineer contact was. Same for Darcy - she was just gone for a while even though she was in the hex and not under Wanda's control (Vision had released her from that) and then just showed up at the end to stop Hayward. They had the huge White Vision reveal last week, and resolved that with a quick philosophy question (I did love that scene however.) Again, definitely set up for the future, but eh. What happened to the beekeeper dude who'd been a SWORD agent? What happened to Jimmy Woo's missing person?

Once Agnes was revealed as Agatha, most of the stakes/tension was lost to me and it felt like everything was just being drug out unnecessarily. I had a lot of fun along the way, and my opinion may change with time, but at this point I'm just like "eh.."