Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectSigh.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=739505&mesg_id=740766
740766, Sigh.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Feb-19-21 11:28 AM
Like, I'm still enjoying it, the developments this episode were fun (if not unexpected at all)... but I still feel like all of these episodes are 15-20 minutes of show in a 30 minute episode. Downside of this format is there's just not much for Wanda and Vision to play in most episodes besides "something seems weird here!" and "we don't talk about that." Am I alone in thinking this?

That's why the Malcolm in the Middle episode was so great-- Wanda had real developments to deal with, and Vision had an actual task to complete. Now that the sitcom format is falling apart (by design), it means the episodes don't feel as complete anymore with their character stories within each episode-- so now it's just like watching the next chapter in a movie. Which is fine, I reckon... but also makes some scenes feel like they'd be on the cutting room floor if this was a movie.

The Monica stuff is the clear root of the show at this point, because she's a character who's changing, growing, learning, making things happen. Whenever she's on screen, the show is definitely at its best imo. Now that we have Agatha revealed, I'm hoping Wanda will have more to do and Vision will have active conflicts to deal with-- I'm not sure that they'll have three hours of things to deal with, if it's true that the next episodes are an hour each, but the potential is certainly there for a lot of great ending stuff.

I didn't write all this to be "that guy," since I know most of you are loving it. I'm loving parts of it too, definitely enough to keep watching... I just didn't know if I was totally alone on still feeling like it drags some. Maybe I am. Still a good show. Just keep wanting it to be a great show-- hopefully the conclusion will kick it up to that level for me.