Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThe Third Day (HBO miniseries)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=739477
739477, The Third Day (HBO miniseries)
Posted by benny, Wed Sep-16-20 11:52 AM
I couldn't wait to see what Dennis Kelly would come up with for his first show since the genius Utopia (catch the original if you can, fuck the upcoming reboot), and I thought the pilot was a really great kick-off, showing just enough creepiness and world-building, and not going too quickly with the usual folk-horror tropes. Jude Law is shot very close up but clearly there is a lot of stuff with him that isn't shown yet. Paddy Considine and Emily Watson are perfect as you'd expect and while the humor is less present than in Kelly's prior work, this is far from overly grim
739520, loved the first episode. saving e02 for this weekend.
Posted by dgonsh, Fri Sep-25-20 10:47 AM
Im so thrilled we're getting these high-concept uk/us collaboration limited series. honourable woman, little drummer girl, night manager, bodyguard, black earth rising, etc. this one leans into the midsommar vibes for sure, but a show like this, spread over 4-6 hours, fully told and finished, is such a gift we didn't have or couldn't have fathomed 10 years ago.

im not saying the third day is must-see or going to be anything more than it purports to be, but its fun as hell so far. some all-time great character actors having fun on a mysterious, very british island, involving an unreliable narrator, bribery, raucous pub scenes...im all in
739521, yeah I'm surprised by the lack of talk around this
Posted by benny, Fri Sep-25-20 11:48 AM
maybe it's more of a slow burn that will pick up once Lovecraft Country is done (I'm sure the Monday release doesn't help)

Loved ep2, gives you more without spilling too much
739524, HBO's new shows just didn't seem to get much hype/press
Posted by Frank Mackey, Fri Sep-25-20 07:42 PM
Raised By Wolves
The Third Day
We Are Who We Are

Probably missing something, but they all kind of sneaked up, on me at least.

739652, Ep 5.....WOW!
Posted by KnowOne, Mon Oct-19-20 10:54 AM
nm
739669, 5.5 episodes of fantastic TV
Posted by benny, Wed Oct-21-20 08:01 AM
the last half of the finale felt a bit rushed, possibly because it's tough to fully develop everything in 6 episodes, though the ending itself was powerful. Another stunning performance from Naomie Harris, but really the acting was top-notch from everyone involved
739684, CoSign
Posted by KnowOne, Fri Oct-23-20 11:15 AM
nm