Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectTed Lasso (Bill Lawrence, TV)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=739379
739379, Ted Lasso (Bill Lawrence, TV)
Posted by handle, Wed Sep-02-20 09:11 AM
I randomly watched the new AppleTV+ show Ted Lasso starring Jason Sudekis and man - it's surprisingly good.

Now it is IS overly optimistic and cliched at some points (as many sports movies/TV shows are) but man I liked it. (I also find it hard to watch things that are not optimistic right now.)

Anyone else watching?

Article:
How on Earth Is ‘Ted Lasso’ Actually Good?
https://www.theringer.com/tv/2020/8/14/21367994/ted-lasso-apple-tv-jason-sudeikis

739381, Yo I actually like it alot
Posted by Bambino Grande, Wed Sep-02-20 11:22 AM

Very basic, easy-going stuff but that's sort of its appeal to me. Enough heavy shows around, and this just feels all fuzzy and warm lol. Its not so silly that it gets tiring, and its not so mushy that it gets dreary, its just... Chill, I guess. I like the characters and I like Jason Sudeikis and all the players, even the one star player's GF is cool to me

Not a must-watch by any means, but its a nice show to put on to wind down after the day while scrolling a lil bit on your phone or tablet

739419, Loving this
Posted by navajo joe, Tue Sep-08-20 09:10 AM
I signed up for an appleTV trial to watch this not knowing that it they're rolling it out weekly. I'm not even mad I'll have to pay for a month to finish the series. Plus, I finally got to saw the Quarantine episode of Mythic Quest which was fantastic and award-worthy.

But yeah, this is just a funny, sweet, smart show. Also, shout out for the representation in both cast and background casting.

This is one of the strongest pilot episodes/opening seasons of a comedy I can remember.

740099, UP
Posted by handle, Thu Dec-17-20 12:28 PM
Watch this!
740101, it's great. watch it.
Posted by ternary_star, Thu Dec-17-20 01:44 PM
740146, Far better than it had any right to be
Posted by pretentious username, Sun Dec-20-20 10:45 AM
More heartwarming than laugh out loud funny, but I loved all the characters and the story played out in a more sensical way than the premise would suggest. A show based on a couple okay sketches seemed like a recipe for disaster, but they made it work.

I’m guessing if I was a futbol fan I’d be complaining about the lack of futbol though lol.
740298, great character. flat out lovable.
Posted by Reeq, Mon Jan-04-21 02:45 PM
740301, also nbc missed a prime opportunity to put this on peacock.
Posted by Reeq, Mon Jan-04-21 03:53 PM
gonna be kinda weird using the character for their coverage in the future since theyll be essentially promoting a show from another network too.
740359, Man someone could write a dissertation on this show and Americanism.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Jan-13-21 12:20 PM
There is a lot going on underneath the surface of this show.

Like this is what white folks should aspire for their brand of Americanism to look like. Optimistic, Smart, Friendly, Tolerant and Welcoming.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
742037, just about caught up on this
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri Sep-03-21 02:10 PM
it's good, though it didn't really grab me as much as most people in here, or friends who've recommended it.
It's enjoyable enough, it's sweet. everyone in it is good. I don't have anything negative to say about it.. just not extra drawn to it.
742055, The relentless optimism can wear you out.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Sep-09-21 11:34 AM

Like can a show be too happy. I know Christmas episodes are usually jolly but to see the Christmas episode in the summer being so freaking happy was nauseating.

It seems like the show is taking a darker turn which seems promising. I love the Black Psychartrist. I love her seeing through Ted Lasso using humor and chipperness to hide what he is going through.

Also love seeing the little guy Nathan turning into a creep bully. Its a realistic turn to see someone who started as the object os such much ridicule turning into a bully when he gets a little bit of power.

Looking for them to nail the last few episodes.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
743266, Great tv show
Posted by ProgressiveSound, Fri Jan-07-22 06:17 AM
Loved it
743267, I loved both seasons.
Posted by Ryan M, Fri Jan-07-22 10:11 AM
I didn’t really understand the S2 backlash.

Honestly it’s just a really good, easy watch with great characters. Even when it misses it’s still entertaining.
743281, S1 had such a direct plot line
Posted by handle, Fri Jan-07-22 09:52 PM
And season 2 didn't.

That's the difference to me.