Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectEnjoyed it, but definitely had too high of expectations
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=739227&mesg_id=739510
739510, Enjoyed it, but definitely had too high of expectations
Posted by Oak27, Tue Sep-22-20 03:52 PM
*spoilers below*

I was interested in how they were going to fit everything in, and I shouldn't have been surprised a lot was left out. Both of Pollock's novels have several plot lines filled with unaffiliated characters that finally cross paths in the third act. I think for this story in particular it would have been better suited for a 4 part mini-series, telling the following stories:

1. Willard coming home from the war, meeting Charlotte, raising Arvin and eventually killing himself after Charlotte's death
2. Sandy & Carl's series of murders (I wish this got more attention in the movie) and Roy & Theodore on the run after Roy kill's Lenora's mother
3. Arvin growing up with his grandmother, uncle and Lenora. Teagardin impregnating Lenora and Lenora killing herself
4. Arvin stalking and eventually killing Teagardin, Sandy & Carl's final "trip" before picking up and killing Roy, picking up and getting killed by Arvin, and Arvin and Lee's showdown.

I was entertained though. Pattinson was great, as you've probably already heard plenty from critics. Really cool that they got Pollock to narrate.