Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThe Devil All The Time (Campos, 2020)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=739227
739227, The Devil All The Time (Campos, 2020)
Posted by Oak27, Thu Aug-13-20 10:40 AM
I LOVE this book (Pollock's follow-up The Heavenly Table might even be better) and I've been waiting impatiently for this to drop since looking through Pattinson's filmography on wiki sometime last year and saw they were making this a movie.

Don't know much about the director but it's an absolutely stacked cast.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIzazUv2gtI
739230, fucking fantastic book. great cast, too.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Aug-13-20 05:49 PM
I'm very excited.
739536, well, the movie was not good at all!
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Sep-28-20 08:18 PM
They removed the humor entirely, making it instead just a sea of gravely serious nihilism. As I said on Twitter, imagine In Bruges if they cut all the jokes and instead took everything that happened insanely seriously. Not great!

Also, Holland is in over his head in this role. Pattinson and Stan did really well, but Holland just doesn't have the gravitas to hang with these other actors imo.
739282, This looks fantastic
Posted by sonofodin, Thu Aug-20-20 07:49 PM
I really hope they don’t fuck it up tho. I absolutely loved the book. All of Pollock’s stuff is great. September 16th is right around the corner!!
739509, robert pattinson might be the best doing it fam.
Posted by Reeq, Tue Sep-22-20 02:20 AM
739513, Seeeeeen
Posted by Bambino Grande, Wed Sep-23-20 12:38 PM

739510, Enjoyed it, but definitely had too high of expectations
Posted by Oak27, Tue Sep-22-20 03:52 PM
*spoilers below*

I was interested in how they were going to fit everything in, and I shouldn't have been surprised a lot was left out. Both of Pollock's novels have several plot lines filled with unaffiliated characters that finally cross paths in the third act. I think for this story in particular it would have been better suited for a 4 part mini-series, telling the following stories:

1. Willard coming home from the war, meeting Charlotte, raising Arvin and eventually killing himself after Charlotte's death
2. Sandy & Carl's series of murders (I wish this got more attention in the movie) and Roy & Theodore on the run after Roy kill's Lenora's mother
3. Arvin growing up with his grandmother, uncle and Lenora. Teagardin impregnating Lenora and Lenora killing herself
4. Arvin stalking and eventually killing Teagardin, Sandy & Carl's final "trip" before picking up and killing Roy, picking up and getting killed by Arvin, and Arvin and Lee's showdown.

I was entertained though. Pattinson was great, as you've probably already heard plenty from critics. Really cool that they got Pollock to narrate.
739511, The narration killed the mood constantly
Posted by benny, Tue Sep-22-20 10:31 PM
Idc if that was the book’s author narrating, shit was extremely clunky and unnecessary
739650, I liked it, but wish it were a Coen Bros./Yorgos/Fincher/Duplass thing
Posted by Nodima, Mon Oct-19-20 12:04 AM
I think between the music, the narration, the dialogue, most of the performances and the general pace it's clear this was intended to be funnier than it is, which now that I'm reading this thread it seems some people expected whereas I came in expecting something out of the Aster/Eggers school of ever encroaching doom.

It has that element to it, but it also thinks certain things are funny that it doesn't portray as funny - you can tell when they show Carl straddling the GI with his mutilated crotch it's meant to be funny - and so you're just left with this weird feeling... "all the time" that doesn't feel decisive.

That weird feeling is compounded more by the fact that the photography is pretty damn good and Campos does a good job of showing without telling...except then there's the narrator that comes out and tells, right? So what's all that about?

I thought the film negatives were a really cool touch.

More than anything this movie just made me reflect back on the sort of movies I'd be so excited to walk up the hill to the local non-profit theater and drop $10 for a ticket, buy a couple $7 local IPAs and a bag of popcorn and see what happens. Then walk out of the theater thinking, well, I wish I liked that a little more than I did.

The stunt casting of the Marvel showdown at the end was film nerd funny. I thought Holland was good in this, there were just too many characters in a movie that was a little more dark than it needed to be, and that darkness is something Keough, Pattinson, Clarke and Skarsgärd are a little more comfortable in so he seems outshined. I admire he took this left so quickly even if he is ultimately just kind of Angry Peter Parker due to not having a wide enough body of work.

I think the idea that this would've been better as a mini-series is pretty accurate. It's so dense, and the first 45 minutes especially just feel like a prologue episode to a longer story. And the turn from pregnant sister to Pattinson's death...it just feels like the characters know what's going on because the audience does but it's way too circumstantial what's actually on screen.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz