Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectIt was extremely unpopular with Black women that I know personally.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=739214&mesg_id=739540
739540, It was extremely unpopular with Black women that I know personally.
Posted by Castro, Wed Sep-30-20 03:10 AM
I loved the episode...but the commentary that I read/listened to multiple times was exactly what I stated. I felt it was worth commenting on that because men in general were cool with the episode primarily because they found Ji-ah attractive, which I felt was a shallow take, and I felt the criticism I heard from Black women reflected a more nuanced look at not only what happened on screen, but the decisions in how to film what happened on screen. I respected that so I shared it.

I loved the episode for different reasons. One I feel that in world building, when Black writers and filmmakers build worlds we don't fall into the myopic lens of only focusing on stories within the story that are specific to our culture. Something as simple as when the Americans arrive and they are tossing leaflets at the Koreans, this was filmed from the perspective of the occupied. That was important. We see the intricacies of Ji-Ah's relationship with her mother, and the difficulties that Ji-ah experiences in someways mirrors Tic's relationship with Montrose. This made their relationship more tangible. The Korean shaman....that was powerful to see Asian spirituality that isn't tied to Buddhism depicted...and of course the Kumiho was powerful, and again tying it the cultural mores, illuminating in how it played into Ji-Ah's mother yearning for respectability in her community. The same abuse, silence and struggle regarding patriarchy .....that was the monster in Ji-Ah's world. That was what I saw, and in response, what I heard mostly was about how Tic and Ji-Ah were handled differently than Tic and Letti.