Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectWhat a lot of effort for "huh, alright I guess"
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=738851&mesg_id=738867
738867, What a lot of effort for "huh, alright I guess"
Posted by Walleye, Wed Jun-03-20 08:57 PM
Why does Steve Carrell periodically shift into a gruff voice like he's a child pretending to be a general? Is it a character choice? Like the general is really insecure? Why did they introduce that his wife is in federal prison and then not follow up on that for one or two entire episodes? Are they just trying to build up suspense for the gag/twist and have no sense of rhythm? Why does the daughter interact with actual adults like that and nobody bats an eye? Are they going to finish forcing the friendship with her and the helicopter pilot or just shrug and walk away? Are they going to give the helicopter pilot more to do because I think she might be pretty funny but I can't be certain unless she is more than the main character's high school daughter's adult friend? Did they intend to make Jimmy O. Yang's character basically redundant with John Malkovich's character? It doesn't seem necessary at all but they're obviously not going to split up that screen time equally right? Does this show want to be political or not? If it does, do they think this is the moment America wants a Parks-and-Recreation vision of politics wherein a bunch of good intentioned misfits collaborate to solve all our dumb problems? If yes, did they watch The Mayor? Would anybody else much rather watch a show where the military service chiefs just act like weird, aggressive assholes to each other?

I have other questions about this show, and I may watch it long enough to get the answers to them. This show seems like such a fascinating and of-the-moment mediocrity. Conceived in a lab to appeal to every single comic instinct of late Gen-X, early millenial white managerial class dipshit like me but it comes out in something menacing and uncanny.