Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI feel dumb for letting y'all keep me from watching it for this long.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=738748&mesg_id=739515
739515, I feel dumb for letting y'all keep me from watching it for this long.
Posted by Damali, Wed Sep-23-20 03:04 PM
I read this post back then and avoided the film...when i should have paid more attention to WHO was saying it was bad...folks w/consistently trash opinions about most things so i should have ignored them.

I watched it in the past week and I loved it. I watched it again w/my son.

First and foremost, give Delroy Lindo ALL the props for this shit...he was electric every time he was on screen...brilliant, sorrowful, mesmerizing, terrifying but yet and still you feel for him and the pain/guilt he's carried for an entire life ...it made me wonder if other Black vietnam vets felt seen and heard through this film..

i like the license he took as a director to include Norm as a memory instead of an actual flashback..that way you solve for having to provide younger versions of the other 4

the scene of them finding out MLK was murdered was interesting because it never occured to me before how that must have felt for the Black GIs at that time..not being at home then...

personally, i like Spike's filmmaking style...its his own...its Black AF...its off-kilter...i appreciate the madcap chaos he creates that is still believeable and compelling...and tragic, cuz they almost all ended up dying in vietnam anyway

were there some corny elements? yes. we didn't need the long lost daughter thing...but i personally enjoy imperfections in any piece of art. And Spike is an artist, period.

Bonus moments: "Sheeeeeiiiiiiittttttt" and "why don't you put the gold on craigslist!" LOL

d