Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectcartoons, classic BBC, coronavirus, and moar
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=738405&mesg_id=738849
738849, cartoons, classic BBC, coronavirus, and moar
Posted by howisya, Sat May-30-20 10:13 AM
Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal i found just scrolling through the adult swim library. i hadn't heard a thing about it. best chance discovery for me in a while. i'm psyched for the 2nd half of the season when it does begin airing. astonishing piece of work so far.

rick & morty is up to the usual standard this season from what i've watched so far. it's hard to imagine this show ever being badly done.

american dad! i cannot say is quite up to its usual standard but remains watchable. i've yet to tire of it, even if it has become more of "the roger show" than its initial premise.

syfy were good enough to option the dc universe Harley Quinn show. it's aired season 1 this month. i was skeptical due to harley fatique, but i ended up a fan. if you like DCAU, you should enjoy the animation. if you like dc in general, it's fun to see the comedic (piss)take on the various heroes & villains. the voice cast is great, and they really nail the tone of the show. i'd recommend giving it a chance, at least a couple episodes if you get the opportunity. i'd gladly continue watching if syfy airs the current and upcoming seasons.

adult swim is also airing Paranoia Agent, so i'm seeing what that's about. nice mystery vibe.

speaking of strange, i found Christine (2016) oddly affecting. rebecca hall killed it.

i also really enjoyed The Sunset Limited. if you've never seen it or simply need a reminder of samuel l. jackson's acting abilities and range, do yourself a favor.

Downsizing was sadly a bit of a shit film, but i cannot get over how great and funny Hong Chau was in the last hour. i need to see more of her work. i'm glad she got golden globe nominated for this part.

TCM aired No Blade Of Grass last month as part of its earth day coverage. i don't know how far in advance they planned it, but watching it earlier this month it was rather eerie: a virus originates in secretive china and becomes a global pandemic, wiping out agriculture, prompting harsh political and military responses, and creating anarchy and chaos. i like disaster movies, and this is not one of the best, but it was an experience watching it in 2020.

pbs has had some very good covid-19 documentaries on frontline and nova. i also watch every episode of 60 minutes, and that has been dominated by covid-19 for months now, covering many angles of the crisis.

i've been enjoying verizon's #payitforwardlive series. i watched both episodes with dave matthews and billie eilish, alicia keys, and usher.

i also finished watching Fawlty Towers and watched all of I, Claudius.