Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectSad.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=738405&mesg_id=738811
738811, Sad.
Posted by jane eyre, Mon May-25-20 09:35 AM
I'm in favor of canceling the show. I doubt I will watch old or new episodes. Knowing that all of the show's emotional sunshine is leading to a season like this infuses the entire series with a tint of tragedy. Hana would loom over everything.

Most of the couch members have made public comments about Hana's passing, now. I actually feel badly for couch members who may carry guilt about their words.

I wonder if the couch even wants to continue with the show? Even if the entire cast is replaced--it only puts Hana front and center as the subtext for it. I wonder if people still want to audition for the show, especially since it's become even more of a vehicle to promote careers and brands over the last few years? How would the Japanese public react if the show picked back up again?

Aloha State Cheri said that the show doesn't protect cast members, which makes me think that little mental health support (or any support) will be provided because it never has been.

I think all of the cast and couch, past and present, need counseling. Some of the cast is so young, sheltered, and inexperienced. Navigating this issue in the public eye is a lot, and can trigger all kinds of things. Plus, some of the cast, like Kai, deal with mental health issues.

And you're right. People on social media have to that public anonymity doesn't take away the power that words have. The treatment cast mates can face online is abusive. I wonder if, in Japan, there is some kind of legal recourse that Hana's family might take that would force TH or shows like it to do more screening, testing, onsite pre/post counseling, and all around more comprehensive support?

I can't read Japanese and know very little about how the Japanese public responds to the show. The fact that Yui, Emika, Hana, and other cast are skewered and bullied has been something I've heard about, but I didn't realize the context about how vicious it was. The show, unfortunately, contributed to an atmosphere that went beyond good fun.

This went too far.