Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectMythic Quest: Raven's Banquet
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=738405&mesg_id=738775
738775, Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet
Posted by navajo joe, Thu May-21-20 01:43 PM
First of all, Jessie Ennis is flat-out hysterical and 4 episodes in is the absolute MVP of a strong cast. Her line-readings and reactions KILL me.

The show is largely funny and certainly better than I'd expected. However, the Nazi episode was so thoroughly wrongheaded in its resolution and central message that I'm stunned thinking about it. Nazis don't need to be deplatformed but rather isolated and separated so no one has to deal with them and they'll just turn on each other? Oh word? That's PRECISELY how white supremacist movements have grown. Like are you fucking kidding me? 8chan, Discord, Telegram have allowed them to build their movement and incite people to kill people (the New Zealand Mosque Massacre is encapsulates this perfectly).

To couple that with the bit about the ethics committee was just the kind of lazy assessment of white supremacy and the ethics surrounding these issues that I'd expect from a die-hard Joe Rogan fan.

So that episode is a big stain on this show and followed by the episode on gender representation in tech that didn't really have anything much nuanced to say besides the gag about the company being a champion of women only to have none in the background of the shot was a rough 1, 2 punch.

But overall it is very funny and the cast is solid with McElhenney and Poppy being the weakest links. The show owes a LOT to Community in terms of characterization there's essentially a Winger, a Britta, a Pierce and a sociopathic Abed played by Pudi