Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectbiggest one was a rewatch of The Wire
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=738405&mesg_id=738564
738564, biggest one was a rewatch of The Wire
Posted by mashpg89, Thu Apr-23-20 02:55 PM
My first full rewatch of the show. It was even better than I remembered. Binging it made for a different experience too. I really enjoyed Season 2 and Season 5 was a lot better than I remembered and provided good closure for the characters. GOAT show and David Simon is the best showrunner out there. Nobody can juggle an ensemble cast and multiple storylines like he can. I have the season ranking 4>1>3>2>5 but surprisingly my girlfriend, who watched it for the first time, had it 1>5>4>3>2. I learned there are no weak seasons though, only weaker ones.

Also watched:

Devs: 7/10. Pretty good but I had the same issues as others. Could've been a movie and the main character was too stiff, no fault of the actor. Loved the subject matter though. I'm now a fan of Garland.

La Casa de Papel (Money Heist): pretty garbage and they should've stopped after the first two seasons. the show has lost it's charm but it's still good mindless entertainment.

Always Sunny seasons 1-4: People say these were the best seasons but I'm not seeing it. I guess I'm more of a fan of the middle and later seasons when the characters got more ridiculous.

Better Call Saul: Excellent. Not as big a fan as others as I do find it to be meandering a lot, the type of show you can have on in the background 80% of the time (if you don't want to rave about the cinematography and editing) and still follow along with. This season was damn good though and I really like the direction the characters have gone. A bit overhyped though imo. People were calling Breaking Bad the greatest show ever and now those same people are saying BCS is better.

Curb Your Enthusiasm: This past season was a return to form. Larry's still got it.

Terrace House: wholesome Japanese reality TV. A guilty pleasure of mine. Too bad it won't be able to finish due to Corona.

Euphoria: A lot better than I thought. Storylines are a bit cliche but the directing and acting make it interesting.

Currently Watching:

Westworld: Horrible. It's a hatewatch for me at this point. Sad to see it got renewed for season 4.

High Maintenance: Only saw the first episode of the new season but I like this show. It's wholesome and easy watching.

What We Do In The Shadows: not sold on this show still, but I'm giving the second season a shot. Would have been so much better with Jemaine Clement starring.

On the list to watch:

The Plot Against America
Dispatches from Elsewhere
My Brilliant Friend
maybe a Sopranos rewatch

Movies I saw recently that I liked:

Pain and Glory by Almodovar
Portrait of a Lady on Fire
The Platform
The Invisible Man