Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectwe understand what it's saying. it's just not a complex thing to say
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=738220&mesg_id=738293
738293, we understand what it's saying. it's just not a complex thing to say
Posted by rob, Thu Mar-26-20 07:57 PM
i like the show. i think he is actually incredibly intelligent and skilled. he has punchlines and true timing.

the problem is he's already done this story before in other formats, and he always takes the off ramp to self deprecation instead of embracing self awareness and growth. i'd be shocked if he wasn't constantly having his audience age out on him because they're maturing while his content isn't.

being in macklemore's shadow isn't an interesting problem to have in 2020 - they both have been viral for the better part of a decade now. and macklemore's lead came from, you know, grinding and being part of a city's music community.

it does get incredibly grating to have him vacillate between acknowledging his privilege and gimmicks and then throw a freaky friday collab out there. or him depict a romantic relationship on the show with a character that's the classic trope of totally self absorbed dude with a wonderfully supportive and creative partner - especially when we see how it parallels how he's always dealt with women in his music.

the last episode about gata was by far the best one because it wasn't about lil dicky.