Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subject4 episodes deep
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=738165&mesg_id=738309
738309, 4 episodes deep
Posted by navajo joe, Sat Mar-28-20 12:18 PM
Y'all. This shit has been fucking FLAMES this season. I really hope that they can keep this level all season.

The elimination of the weak links (story, acting-wise) from season 2 has paid dividends. That paired with the introduction of Tom Pelphrey, Navarro, and fleshing out of Helen has done a world of good for the show.

The shift in power dynamics and character pairings has really breathed new life into the show. I think I've laughed more in the first few episodes of this season than the entire first two seasons. Season 2 felt hampered by a number of its storylines and characters and significant chunks of it felt repetitive so I was worried heading into this season but so far it might be my favorite season. Fingers crossed they can keep that same energy.

Also, I can tell a Jason Bateman directed episode now before even seeing his name pop in the credits (granted he usually does at least the first episode or two) but every episode he helms just fucking pops and has a rhythm, feel and aesthetic that stands out. If I'm absolutely glued to the screen, chances are Bateman directed the episode. He's insanely talented as a director.