Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectF9 (Justin Lin, 2020)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=737880
737880, F9 (Justin Lin, 2020)
Posted by bwood, Thu Jan-30-20 10:04 AM
https://twitter.com/RottenTomatoes/status/1222220837345886208

Glad to have Justin Lin back at the helm. But why is Jordana Brester back?

Anyways, hopefully this is better than the last one and Hobbs & Shaw.
737882, lol I liked the last one and Hobbs and Shaw
Posted by BigWorm, Thu Jan-30-20 11:49 AM
I don't know man, I just go in to see how high they are going to ramp up the ridiculousness.

I mean in the last ones they were fucking driving on ICE with a submarine chasing after them. What's not to love?

I feel like in the next one Vin is pretty much going to be Thanos hitting people with the moon.

Ok sure you probably mean in terms of quality. Yes I guess they have probably sunk a fair amount since Fast Five.

But just personally I'd only be disappointed if the Rock's absence is glaring. Or if they took it down several notches and made it about racing again. Otherwise let's see Vin and Co riding rockets like in Dr. Strangelove.

737883, I smooth turned Hobbs and Shaw the fuck off
Posted by navajo joe, Thu Jan-30-20 12:27 PM
And checked out after 6 or so...

The last thing this Franchise needs is MOAR OF EVERYTHING!!!

They learned the wrong lessons from the success of Five (still easily the best film in the Franchise) and have only had diminishing returns since then.

I hope Justin Lin can tighten things up a bit and get back to inventiveness with the set pieces instead of relying on amping up the ridiculousnesses and the noise

There's a really hard to hit sweet spot with this kind of franchise which is why most franchises don't have more than a good film or so. If any one can do it it is Lin but depends on if the studio/diesel will go for it or it they keep thinking, "We just need to go bigger"

737886, They need to just give this to Michael Bay
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Thu Jan-30-20 05:37 PM
At this point these films have gotten that silly, why not go for it all.

Like others said Fast Five was easily the best film in the entire series with Fast 4 being number 2. I doubt anything will get turned down with these film
737903, why? so we can get long, lecherous ass shots of 16 year old girls?
Posted by Cold Truth, Sun Feb-02-20 02:42 AM
>At this point these films have gotten that silly, why not go
>for it all.

Nope. Not even close.

Sure, they've elevated the action to a ridiculous degree, and that's part of the appeal. And yes, FF sells sex.

But Bay's juvenile proclivities go well beyond mere blowing shit up in ridiculous- and ridiculously fun- ways.

He's got a all the comedic sensibilities of Adam Sandler's crew. We'd get license plates making dick jokes, with actual steel balls hanging underneath, eventually leading to the climactic scene where the villain gets taken out by getting tea bagged with bowling full-sized testicles hanging from a monster truck, all in antiquated bullet-time with a Def Leppard song playing in the background.

Unironically, at that.

Bay would take this shit across the line from "just go with it" to "check your brain at the door".
737904, I only disagree with one thing
Posted by navajo joe, Sun Feb-02-20 09:41 AM
>Bay would take this shit across the line from "just go with
>it" to "check your brain at the door".

It's already at 'check your brain at the door' and I don't really say that as criticism. Bay would take it from "just go with it" to "fuck you."

6 Underground is the kind of movie you make when you just have outright contempt for human beings. He's a director whose face I would throw hands on if I met him in the street see also: S. Craig Zahler.

His films are mean-spirited, jingoism masquerading as movies and his black 'characters' are largely just caricatures. Does this series really need Tyrese and Luda trying to out coon each other for Bay's delight?

Without even the ability to put together a coherent much less enjoyable action sequence anymore I'd say the last thing this franchise needs is fucking Michael Bay.

I'd rather this shit be turned into soul-crushing existential drama by Innaritu before Michael Bay gets his mitts on this shit.

Whatever you say about this Franchise it has never been mean-spirited (Statham's hospital massacre notwithstanding but even that wasn't played for fucking giggles).

It's a series that gets by on its goofy sincerity and wearing its heart on its sleeve. Michael Bay would gut all that precisely because he's heartless.
737908, I'm drawing a distinction between "just go with it"
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Feb-03-20 05:32 AM
and "check your brain at the door"

My meaning of "Just go with it" is that, hey, this is pure, unadulterated fun, and there's something genuine about the people involved in all of this, so let's just enjoy the ride.

Conversely, a "check your brain at the door" movie is nothing but empty calories, with no real meat beneath the absurdity, and the absurdity itself is low-common-denominator.

It's a creatively thought-out train wreck that continues to up the ante against itself, vs meaningless, mindless explosion.

Sure, logic is thrown out the window on both fronts, so let me summarize:

It's "dumb fun" vs "dumb".

I hear you, but I just wanted to clarify the distinction I'm drawing, and I think even with the flawed recent outings, it's still in "just go with it" territory.
737920, No doubt
Posted by navajo joe, Tue Feb-04-20 08:03 PM
I appreciate you expounding on your definition of 'check your brain at the door'

You're definitely right Bay would make these movies dumb to the point of unintelligible in addition to mean-spirited and full of coonery.

Turning this shit is into something akin to '6 Underground' would be an absolute shame. And I say that as someone who only really likes 1 of the 8 films. Although I think 5, 6, 7 are all light year's ahead of that film on every level.

>and "check your brain at the door"
>
>My meaning of "Just go with it" is that, hey, this is pure,
>unadulterated fun, and there's something genuine about the
>people involved in all of this, so let's just enjoy the ride.
>
>Conversely, a "check your brain at the door" movie is nothing
>but empty calories, with no real meat beneath the absurdity,
>and the absurdity itself is low-common-denominator.
>
>It's a creatively thought-out train wreck that continues to up
>the ante against itself, vs meaningless, mindless explosion.
>
>Sure, logic is thrown out the window on both fronts, so let me
>summarize:
>
>It's "dumb fun" vs "dumb".
>
>I hear you, but I just wanted to clarify the distinction I'm
>drawing, and I think even with the flawed recent outings, it's
>still in "just go with it" territory.
737896, Fast and Furious 9 – Official Trailer
Posted by j0510, Fri Jan-31-20 05:35 PM
Fast and Furious 9 – Official Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3ZGo3A5t6s
737897, These assholes got my money again.
Posted by Nopayne, Fri Jan-31-20 05:49 PM
It's that stinger at the end that got me.
737898, i think ima sit this one out.
Posted by Reeq, Fri Jan-31-20 06:06 PM
the trailers usually rope me in but this one looks super goofy.

741738, Word. Give me more Hobbs and Shaw.
Posted by spades, Fri Jul-30-21 10:53 AM
737900, The Dodge Avengers
Posted by spenzalii, Fri Jan-31-20 11:47 PM
Saw that on Reddit and it really applies. They are turning everyone into superheroes and DGAF. I suppose there's not much else you can do when you battle a sub with a Charger and win. We saw Han die twice and they wouldn't even have to explain how or why he's back because nobody would care.

I'm predicting Cena turns on Rasta Theron and ends up at the family BBQ at the end of the movie because why not. As stupid as these movies are I've seen all of them, and will probably see this one opening weekend. I'm full of self-loathing...
737921, I just need the Fiero scenes and I'm good.
Posted by Castro, Tue Feb-04-20 08:49 PM
741151, New trailer for F9
Posted by bwood, Wed Apr-14-21 10:19 AM
https://youtu.be/fEE4RO-_jug

I'm not watching it, but it's here for those who do want to watch it.
741160, Mr All About Family somehow never mentioned a brother?
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Thu Apr-15-21 06:49 AM
These movies are so dumb. Lmao. Somehow they get a pass for the same stuff Michael Bay gets trounced for.
741161, I love how Rock is leaving dickhead Vin out to dry
Posted by Tiger Woods, Thu Apr-15-21 07:20 AM
“let’s see how well your glorified B movie does without The People’s Champ”
741162, i stand by my previous comment. this one aint really doing it for me.
Posted by Reeq, Thu Apr-15-21 09:25 AM
looks like theyve effectively run out of ideas.
741535, I had fun
Posted by bwood, Wed Jun-30-21 04:48 AM
Justin Lin was missed.

Much better than Fate of the Futious and Hobbs & Shaw
741539, I mean it was fun...... But it was pretty horrible as well
Posted by josephmurf2384, Wed Jun-30-21 02:59 PM
I saw some review where they praised giving Dom some backstory and i laughed at the backstory they came up with.
741725, they just do whatever the fuck they want at this point.
Posted by Reeq, Thu Jul-29-21 11:03 AM
creating backstories out of thin air, the space shit, etc.

i wonder what type of shit *didnt* leave the writers room.
741748, Turned it off after 30 mins.
Posted by Backbone, Sat Jul-31-21 10:54 AM
Do people pay for this lazy shit?
742124, I must have missed F8
Posted by will_5198, Mon Sep-20-21 06:53 PM
because I had no idea what the fuck they were talking about half the time

it was just a confusing cameo orgy
742131, This was bad. not terrible, but I'm uninterested.
Posted by spades, Tue Sep-21-21 11:23 AM
There's not charm left in these things. Give me more Hobbs & Shaw.