Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectYeah I am SO tired of campy, scenery chewing villians.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=737791&mesg_id=738297
738297, Yeah I am SO tired of campy, scenery chewing villians.
Posted by stravinskian, Thu Mar-26-20 10:28 PM
I'd hoped they'd be limited to Discovery (and I worry they might constitute the entirety of the "Section 31" show, if/when that comes together).

I don't remember them doing much of that in TNG. The one case I can clearly remember is the original version of the Ferengi (the shitty episode I just mentioned, "The Last Outpost"). But they quickly learned it didn't work. I guess they did it in all the TNG movies (apart from, maybe, Generations). That's part of why they're all shitty, apart from First Contact where the scenery-chewing villain was the only weak point.

They're clearly setting up a lot to explore with Seven of Nine. And I agree, Jeri Ryan did fantastically well here. I don't know if she'll be in season 2 of Picard. I've seen some chatter that this might have been a long-form audition for maybe doing a series around her in the future. God knows how many Star Trek shows they're thinking about. (Weren't they also thinking about a show with Anson Mount and Rebecca Romijn? And I think that animated show is still moving along.) Maybe this is why I've been viewing Picard more like a mini-series. If they're really thinking about all these shows they can't be thinking about seven seasons of each of them.

I liked seeing Riker too. I should have known he'd lead the fleet when they showed him in the "previously on..." summary. I kinda hoped they'd find a way to sneak in Geordi or Worf, but then I might have complained about the fan service of it. Supposedly they're hoping to get them in next season.

I will say, seeing Riker leading the fleet, I was reminded of the later TOS movies, and all the jokes about how everyone had gotten fat. Real future-Picard looks better than the future-Picard from All Good Things. Real future-Riker does NOT look as good as the future-Riker from All Good Things. Good for him, enjoying all those pizzas.