Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjecti think there is
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=737779&mesg_id=737823
737823, i think there is
Posted by howisya, Fri Jan-24-20 08:21 AM
but i think a lot of the indies are concerned with also being dramas. in preparing my response, i discarded a lot of movies i really liked that i know had funny parts and were marketed as comedies but i really remember for something else. that isn't to say a comedy can't have heart, but that isn't really what your question was about. the comedies most of us could rattle off from our formative years really made us laugh. i think it's natural a lot of creative people aren't content with only being comedy, probably because they learned lessons from those classic comedies that stuck with them as they grew up and could appreciate they offered more than just laughs. i guess it's just the balance is less on the comedy side in recent years. life is pretty serious, you'd think comedy would be a great escape, but then i circle back to my earlier point.

>The Studio Comedies these days do seem like Network Comedies
>and all the great TV Comedies are coming from HBO, Netflix,
>etc. Doesn't explain though why Netflix isn't making great
>comedy films but yeah I think you have generally explained it.

i think netflix is only starting to get making films period right in the last couple years. i wouldn't hold my breath on a smash comedy originating there because those aren't award fodder, which seems to be netflix's primary motivation.