Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI'm late on everything. but uh... Rick & Morty and Always Sunny lead my list
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=737393&mesg_id=737469
737469, I'm late on everything. but uh... Rick & Morty and Always Sunny lead my list
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Dec-23-19 03:37 PM
I just got up on both shows during this summer, and I'm blown away by how fantastic they both are.

Rick and Morty is a unique show, adding a quality sci-fi bent to what could easily have been just another good adult-oriented animated show. Instead, we have something much, much more. Sure, we get great parody, good jokes, etc.

But there's an ever-growing mythology around Rick, peppering us with his nihilistic tendencies and posing some very real, relatable existential questions. We get interesting, nuanced family dynamics, etc, all wrapped inside some of the best sci-fi adventuring on TV.

Always Sunny just plain gold, and is in many ways the opposite of Rick and Morty.

No thoughtful introspection. Just awful, awful, awful. Just terrible, horrible, no good, very bad people, all with the goal of reminding you that they have no redeeming qualities, whatsoever. It's got every ounce of awful present in Shameless, and absolutely none of the heart, and somehow they've managed to find the funny in that premise for 13 seasons.

I've got a few more serious joints on my list, such as GOT, but I'm not sure I've watched enough new material during that time to get a real list going.

I just got put on to Dexter last year, and I found that to be a very compelling show from a moral standpoint."The Code", in and of itself, gives Dexter a lot to chew on for the duration. Still haven't caught the last 5 episodes or so though but I'm intrigued by how that ends.

After that.... Succession, Watchmen, The Punisher, Better Call Saul, F Is for Family.