Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectTerriers, Adventure Time, Atlanta, You're the Worst
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=737393&mesg_id=737416
737416, Terriers, Adventure Time, Atlanta, You're the Worst
Posted by Walleye, Sat Dec-21-19 12:01 PM
Beyond Veronica Mars, Terriers is the only show that I've seen that understands the moral universe of the hardboiled fiction tradition. And it's last couple episodes finish was... whoo. Just a beautiful show. The only upside of it getting canceled so brutally was that it never got a chance to have an imperfect episode.

I love Adventure Time because so much popular fiction gets its die hard fan support from building detailed and well-integrated worlds, but I think Adventure Time did it more courageously and weirdly than any of those. The finale was probably the best example of this, showing an astonishing comfort in messing with the boundaries it'd drawn while simultaneously affirming them.

Atlanta doesn't need me to bat for it. And neither does this forum because somebody's going to do it better.

You're the Worst hit me just right at just the right time. I doubt a lot of folks are going to remember it a decade from now, but the sitcom is a pretty important part of American art and I really appreciated the degree to which the folks who worked on this seemed to believe that the form could be something important and meaningful.

*disappointed that "Community" misses this cut-off by a couple of months. It arrived fully formed but wouldn't have likely made many "best of 00's" lists and it's best two seasons 2 and 3 both occurred in this decade and were better than pretty much anything else I watched during the period in question. But rules are rules.