Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectAmerican Son (Netflix)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=736777
736777, American Son (Netflix)
Posted by jrocc, Sat Nov-16-19 06:37 PM
this was a Broadway play that Kerry Washington was in that they adapted for a film. they kept it just like it was on Broadway with the exact same cast from the play and it's set in a single location. it's about a mom who's in a police station in the middle of the night looking for her son. the entire thing takes place in a police station waiting room. here's the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbKZlSwAS3M
736824, So I did get to see this back in September, it was interesting
Posted by upUPNorth, Wed Nov-20-19 10:01 AM
but I'm not sure how I felt about it after it all ended.

I didn't know too much about it as a play until I was just about to see it, so I'm not sure what the takes on the original play were, or if 'okp' would have a different take than the broadway audience, but I couldn't help but feel as the credits were rolling, and they invited the whole cast, director, and writer out on stage (it was a premiere in Toronto) that it kind of made sense the writer was a white dude. Not in the most egregious way, but some of underlying meaning in the story rubs me the wrong way in a modern context. They make a point of stating it's about the moment that family is going through, and to try to see it through the lense of feeling that feeling as a mother etc., and not as much about race, but it's impossible to remove the racial lens from the story and to judge how it handles race as a result.

I don't want to say too much that might spoil it, I think it could be a worthwhile watch, there is some strong acting obviously, if you like watching dialogue filled pieces like this. It did feel pretty obvious as a filmed version of a staged play, even where they come and go from the room, I do think it could have benefitted from a broader adaptation than just this one setting but apparently it was all they could do to get the og cast together for a week at best with their schedules to shoot it.