Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI don't think he was dismissing the Marvel phenomenon
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=736289&mesg_id=736578
736578, I don't think he was dismissing the Marvel phenomenon
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Tue Nov-05-19 08:36 PM
as much as he was identifying an aspect of the storytelling.

He mentioned that he felt that the movies had no emotional stakes and to a degree I agree with him.

In Endgame there were real stakes because Thanos snapped the universe out of existance in Infinity War which set up the possibility that any of the crew could die for good (which did happen).

But outside of that movie, did we really think any of the heroes would die during a fight? I know that's not really the point of the MCU. They're superheros and hence can't die, but they or the arc of their story can change and that is the fulcrum of the stories of the MCU.

He was also commenting on the movies he saw as a child, which are completely different in intent and scale as 'comic book movies'.

And also, from his POV as a filmmaker, the impact of these movies on the business of theater exhibiting is immense. I still think there will be spots for 'arty' movies, but to say things are the same as they were and will return there just isn't grounded in reality. Marty is probably more scared at the potential of the future than vengeful at the MCU for taking away his spot.