Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectCoppola's comments seem perplexing given the context...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=736289&mesg_id=736378
736378, Coppola's comments seem perplexing given the context...
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Sun Oct-20-19 10:05 PM
Both Scorsese and Coppola came up in a true Golden Age of cinema and the culture of periods like that are seductive. The traits of that age created 2001 and Star Wars and Jaws (all 'blockbusters' in style.) which still hold up after all these years.

For as remarkable as the Marvel movies are (and I like many of them), I don't think they are accomplishments in terms of 'Art' as the Kubrick, Speilberg, and Lucas movies. Maybe Coppola and Marty compare the Marvel movies to those 70's movies. Francis and Scorses may just have higher standards.

But I can't fault Scorsese or Coppola for their stance. I might feel upset when I'm a senior-aged man about a medium that ran counter to its culture when I came of age.

I felt like hip-hop lost its way when Puffy took hold in the mid-'90s and never regained its footing. That's a very curmudgeon-ly attitude to have especially given how Bad Boy's presence and success paved the way for hip-hop to grow. Coppola's and Scorsese's attitudes are similar.

Now to the context you referred to.

Coppola's comments seem perplexing given the context of the notes he gave to Coogler. Maybe Coppola's rant was just expressing support for his friend?

His dissing of Marvel movies makes his tutoring of Coogler condescending and hollow.