Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectWhat are your thoughts about Marty's comments about Marvel movies?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=736289&mesg_id=736289
736289, What are your thoughts about Marty's comments about Marvel movies?
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Fri Oct-11-19 06:17 PM
Without reading the entire interview or watching the comment in 'real-time' and gathering context, on face value his comments are right but also reflect that he hasn't watched at least the better of the comic book movies.

Endgame does have more in common with Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge than Taxi Driver. But this doesn't mean that there aren't genuinely emotionally touching moments in Endgame and many high-level comic book movies.

The Marvel movies and the Nolan movies didn't have the best special effects and stunts - although they were good. But the performances made the circumstances of men, women, and celestial beings running around clobbering each other in tights emotionally believable. The movies don't work otherwise. Just look at the DC movies. The special effects and technical aspects of the movies are roughly similar but the basic storytelling mechanics aren't there and as a result they haven't been as well received.

Scorsese's never done an outright tentpole blockbuster. That's probably because he doesn't want to and that he hasn't been offered one. And so he may likely have the opinion that summer movies just aren't something he's interested to do.

The feedback from Sam Jax, Downey Jr., and James Gunn was pretty measured and reasoned which was good to see. I presume they were showing deference for Scorsese's age and accomplishments. I can't think that even Tarantino would get that level of respect he said the same.

https://pagesix.com/2019/10/04/martin-scorsese-says-marvel-movies-arent-cinema-theyre-theme-parks/

Martin Scorsese says Marvel movies ‘aren’t cinema,’ they’re ‘theme parks’

By Alex HeiglOctober 4, 2019 | 9:26pm

Marty’s not feeling very Marvel-ous.

In a new interview with Empire, Martin Scorsese addressed the zeitgeist-dominating influence of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. To put it mildly, he finds them … wanting.

“I don’t see them. I tried, you know? But that’s not cinema,” Scorsese told the magazine. “Honestly, the closest I can think of them, as well made as they are, with actors doing the best they can under the circumstances, is theme parks. It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being.”

To be fair, Scorsese’s legacy of capital-c Cinema does seem fairly incompatible with the streamlined, quip-heavy, crowd-pleasing, popcorn fare that comprises the MCU. But “Joker” director Todd Phillips has namechecked grimy Scorsese faves like “Taxi Driver” and “King of Comedy” in his press tour — and even went so far as to bring in “King of Comedy” star Robert De Niro for a part in “Joker.” Maybe Scorsese’s just is a DC fan?
Marty’s latest is, of course, “The Irishman,” out on Netflix Nov. 27.