Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectUncut Gems (Safdie Brothers, 2019)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=736078
736078, Uncut Gems (Safdie Brothers, 2019)
Posted by navajo joe, Tue Sep-24-19 05:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTfJp2Ts9X8

Good LORT! I can't wait and I didn't even care for Good Time that much.
736080, i was at the world premiere in Toronto
Posted by wrecknoble, Tue Sep-24-19 06:24 PM
and i also asked a question during the Q&A re: the score, which they described to me as going for a "new age / mythical" feel. and i can understand that in the context of the plot.

but i don't know if it was the audio mix for the initial screening cut, but the music/volume was really badly mixed and way louder than it needed to be. at times it drowned out the dialogue and was really jarring and took me out of the moment.

the film itself, IMO, is a 3/5. it hit certain marks and missed many others.

but i'll let you watch for yourself and decide how you feel about it.

736081, that doesn't surprise me
Posted by navajo joe, Tue Sep-24-19 06:51 PM
that's how i felt about Good Time

also, doesn't surprise me about the audio given they relied so heavily on the score in Good Time as well.

I'm still looking forward to it largely for the cast becasause:
a. Dramatic Sandler is best Sandler
b. They got awesome work from Pattinson
c. Lakeith Stanfield
d. Kevin Garnett
736082, a few responses to your list (no spoilers)
Posted by wrecknoble, Tue Sep-24-19 10:43 PM
>I'm still looking forward to it largely for the cast
>becasause:
>a. Dramatic Sandler is best Sandler
He definitely put in a good performance, to the point where I almost forgot I was watching Adam Sandler.

>b. They got awesome work from Pattinson
They really did!

>c. Lakeith Stanfield
He's a force man, even in this somewhat limited role, he steals a lot of scenes. Plus he's developing into a really versatile actor.

>d. Kevin Garnett
LOL he is good in the role

Overall I enjoyed Uncut Gems, but it had it's shortcomings for me. I don't want to describe them because I feel like you'd want to come to your own conclusions when you get around to watching it.

It was very cool to be at the premiere - basically all of the principal actors were there to introduce the movie (including Toronto's own The Weeknd who has a very minor role in the film), and most of them stuck around for the Q&A after as well

Also in attendance (I was sitting next to the VIP entrance in the orchestra section so got some good glimpses at everyone as they started to take their seats) to check out the premiere were Timothee Chalamet, Emily Ratajkowski, and Jerrod Carmichael, just to name a few.
736113, Emily!
Posted by High Society, Thu Sep-26-19 08:27 PM
736114, that sounds like a dope premier
Posted by navajo joe, Thu Sep-26-19 09:12 PM
glad you got to go even if the movie didn't bowl you over
736167, saw it at TIFF too. Loved it. Truly a sensory-overload experience
Posted by dgonsh, Tue Oct-01-19 04:54 PM
I told people it reminded me of if the sopranos took place in the transpotting extended universe

see it in the biggest theatre you can find with the most spacious seats you can find cause this movie is emphatically claustrophobic
736191, claustrophobic is a great word to describe it!
Posted by wrecknoble, Thu Oct-03-19 09:49 AM
738583, It really is. I was either tense or cringing or both the entire movie.
Posted by Brew, Sat Apr-25-20 09:38 PM
736189, Their work is just not for me
Posted by bwood, Wed Oct-02-19 08:34 PM
Liked it better than Good Time, but yeah technically their impressive filmmakers... but their stories and characters (especially the way it plays out) is just not for me.
737505, Great film...
Posted by blueeclipse, Thu Dec-26-19 01:35 AM
Tension from top to bottom. There is a dread lurking in this film that is thick but a high too. They don't just make you feel the hopelessness of addiction but the catch and release as well. Sandler kills this role.......bodies it. He was great in this. The rest of the cast was decent but were really all just there to serve as a way to show just how many different kinds of desperate this character can be.
737514, I enjoyed this more than Good Times
Posted by navajo joe, Thu Dec-26-19 05:01 PM
It's funny for all the talk of intensity and claustrophobia, this felt really chill/leisurely compared to Good Time.

I'm not sure the ending works for me as it doesn't really make much sense to me.

Great white knuckle third act until the ending.

Solid film, if a bit overlong
737625, Why didn’t the ending make sense to you?
Posted by lightworks, Sat Jan-04-20 03:00 PM
Ima guess you’ll say it’s because whatever money they get from selling his jewelry won’t be as much as he won in the bet but of course I’m curious as to what you’ll say.
737630, I thought that was the only ending that made sense
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Sun Jan-05-20 11:14 PM
As Big Worm once said: "I had to warn you too many times about my money, Smokey. You see, it's the principle of the whole thing. There's principalities in this."

That goon was pushed to his limit. Locking him in that cage was the last straw.

Also we'd be stuck in an infinite loop if it didn't end like it did. Adam Sandler would be right back in that position after not too long. Hell he'd probably immediately place a new bet with those winnings before paying off his debts
738756, ending was perfect.
Posted by will_5198, Mon May-18-20 09:03 PM
curious to hear the faults.
737564, Like Good Time, it's a real Mood
Posted by Nodima, Mon Dec-30-19 04:18 PM
It didn't really feel like it could hold up to scrutiny in follow up conversations on the way out, but there were a lot of really awesome shots in this movie and its intensely 2012 vibes were a major selling point for me. I didn't think I'd ever be excited to see Ca$h Out in a movie but here I am.

The gunshot was legitimately jarring, even and maybe especially on the heels of the similarly abrupt Chewie sequence in Skywalker it felt like such a confident exclamation mark at the end of a long argument about big actors in small spaces.

I'm fully willing to admit a bit of tipsy might've left me feeling like the thing didn't totally come together, I had a similar issue with Once Upon a Time... and The Souvenir earlier this year, so I'll probably give it another shot on the cheap at a midday matinee. Even if just to marvel at those NBA playoff game final scores one more time.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
737624, That was really good.
Posted by lightworks, Sat Jan-04-20 02:49 PM
Very intense, until it wasn’t of course lol.

I love basketball but I had no clue how that series ended so it was suspenseful to me, but I wonder if for those folks that already knew if that whole section was boring.
737629, The parlay bet made it interesting even though I knew the game outcome
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Sun Jan-05-20 11:04 PM
I knew the Celtics would win but it was tense not knowing KG would get all the points he needed
737650, nah, it felt like having a panic attack
Posted by ternary_star, Tue Jan-07-20 05:24 PM
and I knew he'd win the bet
737901, their movies just arent my style.
Posted by Reeq, Sat Feb-01-20 05:02 AM
i gave this and good life a try but they werent for me.
738328, I appreciate the film but don't know if I liked it.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Mar-30-20 10:44 AM
I mean they definitely did what they set out to do as filmmakers, but its a story I don't care enough about. Or maybe I wasn't in the mood for it.

Anyway, the dopest scene in this movie when you see Sandlers wheels start to turn talking to KG and gets himself worked up into a gambling frenzy, that's great stuff. Heck I enjoyed the whole last act of that finals game. The ending was Jarring but made sense.

It's just, would it kill these guys to make a movie where I was really rootin for the protagonist to win by the end?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
738577, I didn't like it
Posted by SuiteLady, Fri Apr-24-20 09:52 PM
738755, really good. really fucking good.
Posted by will_5198, Mon May-18-20 09:02 PM
Good Time left me a bit cold; I was excited to see it and liked certain segments, but overall it felt like the outline of a better movie.

this is that better movie.

love how it gets into the psyche of addiction and the chase (Safdies did a masterful job pacing the movie in the same frenetic way). Howard is always *just outside* where he wants to be: a hallway from talking to KG at practice, held up by bouncers at the VIP, scoring a rare gem but with a low appraisal (plus the $190k bet *almost* pushed KG to $200k...but didn't), a man that can appreciate his family but just dumb enough to fall for a crazy young employee, etc.

sublime performance by Sandler, in a role that is damn difficult -- he's smart enough to hit you with a remarkable monologue, dumb enough to never stop when he's ahead, charming and selfish all at once (screwing over Demany in desperation, but dropping everything to save a few fish out of his tank). you love him and hate him and know him.

it never stops him though. and that's the addicting part to watch.
738772, i just thought it was alright. def overhyped
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu May-21-20 09:32 AM
i was entertained all the way through but folks were telling me it was an alltime favorite, a religious experience

and its just an above average heist/thriller. i was entertained
738817, Pretty intense for an 8am viewing
Posted by Ceej, Tue May-26-20 08:52 AM
738833, Cheering for the opening tip — PEAK degenerate
Posted by Amritsar, Thu May-28-20 09:36 AM
I loved it. Wardeobe was especially on point.

An ode to schmuck style too
738836, Thumbs up.
Posted by stylez dainty, Thu May-28-20 07:37 PM
Sometimes I find movies where people dig themselves into a huge hole and it's no one's fault but their own strangely comforting.

738940, Pacing in this film was insane. Frenetic is an understatement
Posted by spirit, Tue Jun-16-20 08:45 PM
LaKeith did a great job. Sandler did a good job too. Thumbs up for the whole cast. Feels like you’re trapped on a rollercoaster with a fast talking madman

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com
738947, one of the most stressful watches ever
Posted by mista k5, Wed Jun-17-20 12:03 PM
cant say i enjoyed it. definitely dont understand the hype.
738979, most stressful movie ever
Posted by JtothaI, Mon Jun-22-20 03:40 PM
Think I need BP meds after that.

That said, it was enjoyable, but I don't know if I would watch it again.