Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThe Suicide Squad (James Gunn, 2020)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=736029
736029, The Suicide Squad (James Gunn, 2020)
Posted by bwood, Thu Sep-19-19 08:18 AM
Full cast: https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1172598575257346049?s=19

They can only fail upwards from what WB did to David Ayer so...

Also, the cast is much better here than from the first one. All they need is Will back.
736035, yeah I assumed Will was never coming back
Posted by BigWorm, Thu Sep-19-19 12:40 PM
As it was, I was surprised that he'd take a supporting role like that. Maybe he thought the movie would do much better and he'd get a spin-off film?

I would guess either they can't afford him this time around, or someone he trusts told him to get off that train, regardless of the director.

Either way, I think Gunn can do a MUCH better job than Ayer. TBH, I don't think Ayer's a good writer OR director. I looked through his filmography and basically Harsh Times was the only movie of his I dug. Bright was just embarrassing.

Maybe Warner/DC ruined his original vision for Suicide Squad, but I'm not that convinced that his original vision would have been that much better. It definitely wasn't the super villain Dirty Dozen that everyone wanted.
736036, RE: yeah I assumed Will was never coming back
Posted by howisya, Thu Sep-19-19 12:56 PM
>TBH, I don't think Ayer's a good writer OR director. I looked
>through his filmography and basically Harsh Times was the only
>movie of his I dug. Bright was just embarrassing.

end of watch is dope. that and harsh times are my favorites. i liked fury. he also wrote training day, which i love. these alone are enough reason for me to be interested in seeing a workprint of suicide squad before all the producer meddling in postproduction.
736037, End of Watch is fantastic
Posted by navajo joe, Thu Sep-19-19 01:32 PM
Everything else he's done I give zero fucks about including his writing on Training Day which is a movie that works solely on the performance of Denzel and to a lesser extent Hawke.

Suicide Squad is one of the worst major budget films I've seen from a technical perspective

Bright is the movie you make when you no one is there to shield you from your own lack of talent
736044, that is a perfect description for Bright
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Sep-20-19 01:13 AM
because someone needed to be like "this ain't it"

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
736048, Release date August 6, 2021 n/m
Posted by go mack, Fri Sep-20-19 04:01 PM
739288, The Suicide Squad - Roll Call
Posted by j0510, Sat Aug-22-20 02:52 PM
The Suicide Squad - Roll Call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8tWKJwyG6Y

THE SUICIDE SQUAD – DC FanDome Exclusive Sneak peek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VImYeXnr13Q
741007, Trailer
Posted by bwood, Fri Mar-26-21 12:35 PM
Looks amazing:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jamesgunn/status/1375481778064957440?s=10
741009, Steely Dan was a good choice
Posted by handle, Fri Mar-26-21 12:46 PM
But I was fooled by the New Order in WW84's trailer too.
741011, Pretty funny. Sidenote: I HATE the Harley Quinn accent
Posted by stylez dainty, Fri Mar-26-21 01:26 PM
Hated it in the animated series too. Might like that character otherwise. Will always remind me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdvKR407DhA
741030, Not sure about this one either.
Posted by blackfoot_female, Sun Mar-28-21 03:50 AM
granted it's only a trailer, but only King Shark seemed interesting to me. on second watch, it did feel better than the first.
741786, Out now!
Posted by handle, Thu Aug-05-21 08:36 PM
I might watch it tonight
741787, this was a real movie.
Posted by Reeq, Fri Aug-06-21 01:45 AM
idk why but i thought it was just gonna be a bunch of mindless action and stylish violence.

well done all around.
741788, btw theres mid and end credits scenes.
Posted by Reeq, Fri Aug-06-21 02:52 AM
741790, It WAS a movie, but I dunno... it didn't leave an impression on me
Posted by handle, Fri Aug-06-21 09:54 AM
Idris Elba was good.

Nice to see Steve Agee working.

I don't think Taika Waititi needs to be in EVERY comic universe.

Wished Ron Funches voiced King Shark.

I never felt ANY jeopardy for people and with the exception of Flag I didn't care if people were seriously injured (or died.)

It was a movie - but Guardians of The Galaxy 2 was 5 times better - and that had a lot of the same issues.
741795, SPOILERS LIKE A MUHPHUCKA
Posted by Castro, Fri Aug-06-21 04:55 PM
So basically Harley Quinn has the same physical and martial capabilities as Wonder Woman?

I mean I get that she has some Domino type coinkydinks happening for her, but she aims like Deadshot, is agile like Beast, got hands like Iron Fist, and heals/takes punishment like Wolverine.

They have made her the center of the franchise, but its so over the top in this...part of what makes the premise of this intriguing is that its not supposed to be a walk in the park, they are misfits and they have little or nothing going for them but their ability to kill, and the odds are stacked against them. HQ throws all of that out of kilter. The polka dot dude was interesting and the way the framed his view of the world was fun and added to the movie....but.....

Also in regards to taika waititi...if they are shooting in New Zealand, dude gonna be in it.
741806, RE: SPOILERS LIKE A MUHPHUCKA
Posted by spirit, Sat Aug-07-21 09:53 PM
**spoliers below**

The story is nonsensical. They are sent in to get a weapon that the US actually created, but a coup government is going to get, but Waller has the Suicide Squad kill the rebels that are trying to overthrow the coup government? The coup co-leader wants Harlequin to marry him to increase his approval rating? It’s a coup! He isn’t elected. SMH

**spoliers below**

The story is also nonsensical. They are sent in to get a weapon that the US actually created, but a coup government is going to get, but Waller has the Suicide Squad kill the rebels that are trying to overthrow the coup government? The coup co-leader wants Harlequin to marry him to increase his approval rating? It’s a coup! He isn’t elected. SMH

How was the government planning on weaponizing the giant starfish if they couldn’t figure out how to control it after 30 years of research? It broke out and the Thinker had no way to control it? After studying it for decades. What a thinker he was

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com
741803, Four word review: violence for violence’s sake
Posted by spirit, Sat Aug-07-21 09:16 PM
There were some scenes with emotional resonance near the end, but largely this was just a gorefest. A lot of it was graphic and added nothing to the film, which sort of helps me understand Gunn’s recent “yeah bro” co-sign of Martin “how can I create a new way to film someone getting brutally murdered” Scorsese’s unfounded critique of comic book films (which did not seem to be based on actually watching many of said films or really specific about any of them at all).

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
741807, Really fun and refreshing. Probably the best DCEU movie.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Aug-08-21 01:09 AM
Felt nice to watch a superhero movie so colorful and unpredictable and loose and playful and violent. It was like Ragnarok and The Boys had a baby. Say what you will about Gunn’s shitty interviews, but fuck, his movies are really fun.
741821, Agreed.
Posted by spades, Mon Aug-09-21 04:12 PM
741883, yeah...pretty much ditto for me...
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Aug-14-21 08:44 AM
...it was crazy, goofy, brutal, playful fun. What you said above perfectly described it for me "..Ragnarok and The Boys had a baby."

i dug it a lot. As far as DCEU movies go, this and Shazam would be the faves for me. (and the first 2/3rds of the 1st Wonder Woman.)

Do Nolans Batmans count in the DCEU or nah? If they do, then his 1st one, "Batman Begins" was my fave of that mix.
741940, surprisingly good.
Posted by will_5198, Thu Aug-19-21 06:51 PM
741819, So stupid and fun. I loved it.
Posted by JFrost1117, Mon Aug-09-21 11:43 AM
741822, a fun movie
Posted by mista k5, Mon Aug-09-21 05:37 PM
definitely enjoyed it. some pretty goofy moments.
741829, Movies like this scare the shit out of me.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Aug-10-21 09:30 AM
Because if folks see this as good, and its the future of film, then I am assed out of enjoying movies in the future.

I am with Spirit, its nonsensical. There were a lot of very funny moments, but they can't make up for how nothing the characters did in the movie made any sense to me. Like why did they have to storm a beach and travel for days by foot to get to that fortress instead of airdrop right at the fortress?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
741837, I wouldn't worry too much about this.
Posted by spades, Tue Aug-10-21 12:33 PM
The IP is ridiculous in tone. I see this as just being true to the source material.
741840, It's a movie called 'The Suicide Squad'
Posted by Nopayne, Tue Aug-10-21 04:28 PM
Shit's not that deep lol.
741841, Lol. There’s actually a good answer for this.
Posted by pretentious username, Tue Aug-10-21 04:40 PM
Like why
>did they have to storm a beach and travel for days by foot to
>get to that fortress instead of airdrop right at the
>fortress?

Every mission needs to look like it’s a band of villains doing some random shit. If they are airdropped it would be difficult for the US government to deny involvement.
741943, That’s not a good answer.
Posted by spirit, Thu Aug-19-21 11:49 PM
Who would believe that some villains randomly got together to fight a starfish in a foreign country?

It’s not like they showed up to rob a bank. They had no motive to show up there other than as armed representatives of US imperialism/foreign policy.

They got caught on camera too. Even though several of them were supposed to be in prison at the time they were in said foreign country.

This is a covert op?

That movie is just dumb.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
741945, I mean… this is kind of the joke though
Posted by pretentious username, Fri Aug-20-21 05:51 AM
It’s more about “semi-plausible deniability” than having a good cover.

>Who would believe that some villains randomly got together to
>fight a starfish in a foreign country?

That wasn’t their mission though. They went rogue to do that and then there was somewhat of a scramble to come up with a story. Had they followed their mission the public likely would not have known their involvement.

>It’s not like they showed up to rob a bank. They had no
>motive to show up there other than as armed representatives of
>US imperialism/foreign policy.
>
>They got caught on camera too. Even though several of them
>were supposed to be in prison at the time they were in said
>foreign country.

But the US government will always just say “they broke out of prison!” and keep it moving. Waller/the US don’t really care how obvious it is that they’re fighting for US imperialism/foreign policy, just that they’re able to publicly deny it.

So, in short, the joke is that every mission it’s the loudest covert op possible because the US will deny everything anyways. If the movie/comic books we’re taking the “covert op” part seriously they wouldn’t have King Shark or Killer Croc there.
741834, It was dumb fun
Posted by BigWorm, Tue Aug-10-21 10:56 AM
I was entertained. Definitely not great though.
741887, Idris Elba's versatility is so damn underrated .
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Mon Aug-16-21 09:13 AM
He's played literally everything so far.
741905, He's really good.
Posted by spades, Tue Aug-17-21 03:29 PM
741941, I'd watch more comic book movies if they were like this
Posted by will_5198, Thu Aug-19-21 07:26 PM
- no drawn-out origin stories or explanations of every single aspect of their lives

- COHERENT ACTION scenes that were creative, framed well and easy to follow (the most impressive part of the movie to me; it's amazing how shitty the "action" is in these fucking comic book movies)

- pacing was brisk and hardly any lulls (up until the last act, but I believe all these movies are 20-45 minutes too long)

I was incredibly surprised by how much I liked this. I've been fatigued by comic book movies for a while -- the MCU has been following the same overlong template of "talk about nothing, build towards next collab/solo movie, unmemorable action and deadpan humor", while the DC movies are mostly bad. credit to Gunn for giving this genre life, just as he did in 2014.