Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThe Suicide Squad (James Gunn, 2020)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=736029
736029, The Suicide Squad (James Gunn, 2020)
Posted by bwood, Thu Sep-19-19 08:18 AM
Full cast: https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1172598575257346049?s=19

They can only fail upwards from what WB did to David Ayer so...

Also, the cast is much better here than from the first one. All they need is Will back.
736035, yeah I assumed Will was never coming back
Posted by BigWorm, Thu Sep-19-19 12:40 PM
As it was, I was surprised that he'd take a supporting role like that. Maybe he thought the movie would do much better and he'd get a spin-off film?

I would guess either they can't afford him this time around, or someone he trusts told him to get off that train, regardless of the director.

Either way, I think Gunn can do a MUCH better job than Ayer. TBH, I don't think Ayer's a good writer OR director. I looked through his filmography and basically Harsh Times was the only movie of his I dug. Bright was just embarrassing.

Maybe Warner/DC ruined his original vision for Suicide Squad, but I'm not that convinced that his original vision would have been that much better. It definitely wasn't the super villain Dirty Dozen that everyone wanted.
736036, RE: yeah I assumed Will was never coming back
Posted by howisya, Thu Sep-19-19 12:56 PM
>TBH, I don't think Ayer's a good writer OR director. I looked
>through his filmography and basically Harsh Times was the only
>movie of his I dug. Bright was just embarrassing.

end of watch is dope. that and harsh times are my favorites. i liked fury. he also wrote training day, which i love. these alone are enough reason for me to be interested in seeing a workprint of suicide squad before all the producer meddling in postproduction.
736037, End of Watch is fantastic
Posted by navajo joe, Thu Sep-19-19 01:32 PM
Everything else he's done I give zero fucks about including his writing on Training Day which is a movie that works solely on the performance of Denzel and to a lesser extent Hawke.

Suicide Squad is one of the worst major budget films I've seen from a technical perspective

Bright is the movie you make when you no one is there to shield you from your own lack of talent
736044, that is a perfect description for Bright
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Sep-20-19 01:13 AM
because someone needed to be like "this ain't it"

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
736048, Release date August 6, 2021 n/m
Posted by go mack, Fri Sep-20-19 04:01 PM