Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectHustlers (L. Scafaria, 2019)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=735988
735988, Hustlers (L. Scafaria, 2019)
Posted by benny, Sat Sep-14-19 11:46 AM
A bit puzzled at some of the breathless reaction this movie is garnering. Yes, J-Lo is really good and the Oscar talk makes sense. The cinematography is great, with some truly special club sequences, and kudos to the sound mixing. But overall the film doesn't really dig very deep, and spends too much time on some laborious scenes with the journalist interviewing Constance Wu (who's pretty good, nice to see her stretch her range a bit) to the detriment of showing more of the relationships between the complex main characters. There's a bit of a TV movie feel to the way events are portrayed, and while I understand the decision to not have a single male character be more than a paper-thin trope, it almost made me wonder if this would've worked better as a limited series.
736007, The Only Question: Who Gets Naked??
Posted by KingMonte, Mon Sep-16-19 06:07 PM
736009, i cant believe serious people are giving this good reviews.
Posted by Reeq, Tue Sep-17-19 05:02 AM
i cant even believe this got a theatrical release.
736013, Couple this with the Dave Chappelle review fiasco
Posted by Mgmt, Tue Sep-17-19 08:11 PM
and you’ll know what these things are about

>i cant even believe this got a theatrical release.
736050, i hate to agree but yeah.
Posted by Reeq, Sat Sep-21-19 10:27 AM
its got a 6+ score on imdb and a 60+% audience score on rotten tomatoes but apparently the 'critics' think its a masterpiece with an oscar worthy performance somewhere in there.
736287, I really enjoyed this movie. JLO should get an oscar for it.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri Oct-11-19 03:04 PM
I had to let go at some point that this wasn't a Heist Movie and once I did that I enjoyed it.

I can see how dudes might not find it super relatable but I particularly enjoyed it because I was in NYC at the strip clubs circa 2007. That shit seems like a lifetime ago and I enjoyed how they captured the differences between NYC 2006 and 2013.

This very much felt like a companion piece for Wolf of Wall Street.

Loved all the Janet Jackson songs.

Most of all I loved that JLO just made a showcase for herself to be fucking badass.

After Out of Sight I thought she was a great actress but have never seen another glimpse of her being that sort of actress until this movie. She's doper at 50 then I thought she was at like 30.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
738363, I enjoyed this more than I expected to.
Posted by SuiteLady, Mon Apr-06-20 07:37 PM
739405, ehh you about summed it up
Posted by Mynoriti, Sat Sep-05-20 06:56 PM
Strong performances by Lopez and Wu

There are a few moments where I'm thinking oh now it's getting good, but it never really pops

739454, hot take incoming
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Sep-14-20 11:59 AM
... I thought Wu was grossly miscast. Have loved her in other things, but here, her transformation never seemed credible to me. Her line delivery often felt flat as well. Really sunk the movie for me, tbh.

Lopez was incredible though.
739483, even if i agreed on Wu i don't think it would've mattered
Posted by Mynoriti, Thu Sep-17-20 12:30 AM
a better performance wouldn't made the movie it any less average imo