Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectblew my (low) expectations out of the water
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=735881&mesg_id=737744
737744, blew my (low) expectations out of the water
Posted by benny, Sat Jan-18-20 04:27 PM
had no idea this was coming out until 3 weeks ago and didn't think I'd go see it but then a couple decent twitter mentions from critics made me reconsider. I don't want to over-sell it but IMO they kinda knocked it out of the park, esp compared to all the lukeward nostalgia-fueled follow-ups we've had to endure recently. Great action with set pieces that feel grounded and not taken over by CGI, dope villains (Jacob Scipio has real charisma, he's a find) and side characters that aren't just cardboard cutouts. Of course the Smith/Lawrence dynamic is what this movie rides or dies on, and the writing manages to incorporate their age and different life situations smoothly; many of the jokes are cliched but everything feels organic and earned. Both actors are great, I can't recall the last time I enjoyed a Will Smith performance this much, and yet Lawrence is clearly the soul of the movie.

Will be interesting to see what Bay does with BB4, this one definitely breathes a shot of life into the franchise, but the outcome going forward into clear either