Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectBad Boys For Life
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=735881
735881, Bad Boys For Life
Posted by bwood, Wed Sep-04-19 12:21 PM
https://youtu.be/jKCj3XuPG8M

NIGGA!!!!!
735882, WARNING. WARNING. JANUARY RELEASE DATE.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Sep-04-19 01:00 PM
I liked the trailer, but this *reeks* of "thought it would be a summer hit, don't like how it turned out, dumping it in January instead." I hope I'm wrong... but that scares the shit out of me. Can't recall the last time a 100M budget action movie sequel had a January release date and was *good*.
735883, lol if it's any consolation, the other two aren't "good" either
Posted by BigWorm, Wed Sep-04-19 02:03 PM
As long as shit gets real, I'm in.

The only thing that gives me pause is that Michael Bay didn't come back to direct it.

And that, my friend, is the first and last time I will ever type that sentence.

735893, i feel the same way
Posted by RobOne4, Thu Sep-05-19 12:01 AM
all the way down to the last sentence.
735894, Welcome to Bay Island my friends
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Sep-05-19 12:17 AM

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
735898, oh no doubt, but they were obvious hits
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Sep-05-19 11:46 AM
big fun action, gaudily shot by Bay, lots of banter, likable leads, etc.

the fact that they (potentially) couldn't replicate that? I mean, it's a Will Smith led sequel to two big hits... and it's released in JANUARY?
735899, ok, yeah, no doubt that's a red flag
Posted by BigWorm, Thu Sep-05-19 12:59 PM
I guess I'm just not worried the same way I might be worried about an MCU flick coming out in January.

Man though. They would really have to go out of their way to make a flop. Even if it were just mediocre with 50% rotten tomatoes, you would think nostalgia + Will Smith would make this a smash.

::shrugs:: If they really are about to drop a deuce, maybe/hopefully the producers will watch Hobbs and Shaw and then demand reshoots before it's too late.
735900, Now, granted, if Ride Along can open to 40 mil in January...
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Sep-05-19 01:08 PM
... then so could Bad Boys For Life. So maybe it still makes money.

But, like, Bad Boys 2 had a 22% Rotten Tomatoes score, and they *still* gave it a prime release date. So... can it really be worse than that?
735909, The release date was set before anything was shot
Posted by Eff That, Fri Sep-06-19 11:53 AM
Not that this negates your point, but the original release date was Feb 2017, and it bounced around a few (non-Summer) dates before settling on Jan 2020, but that was before anything had been filmed. So, even in concept, it wasn’t considered for a prominent release date.

Still though, could have been a frowny face text from Martin’s trainer that made Sony decide to release it in January.
735888, I hope this is good
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Sep-04-19 05:04 PM
The first one was the first movie as a teenager that made me a movie nerd.

I'll probably watch this tho. If only out of loyalty for the series.
735911, this trailer did nothing for me
Posted by RobOne4, Fri Sep-06-19 01:30 PM
But ill be there opening weekend.
736570, This new trailer slaps
Posted by bwood, Tue Nov-05-19 12:04 PM
https://twitter.com/BadBoys/status/1191716798527397888?=19
736580, Finally!
Posted by xangeluvr, Wed Nov-06-19 01:17 AM
>https://twitter.com/BadBoys/status/1191716798527397888?=19

the other trailers i saw were terrible. i think it was just the way they were cut and edited that made ML so unfunny. this trailer his lines came off better. looks like it will be fun as hell!!
736586, shit just got real
Posted by BigWorm, Wed Nov-06-19 01:20 PM
737726, This shit is fun as fuck! Can't wait to see it again.
Posted by bwood, Wed Jan-15-20 09:41 AM
737727, good to hear. its great seeing them do the media rounds together.
Posted by Reeq, Wed Jan-15-20 09:57 AM
will smith spitting brand new funk straight from memory on sway in the morning was def a highlight.
737733, Oh, I've watched that like 10 times.
Posted by soulpsychodelicyde, Thu Jan-16-20 03:20 PM
737736, thank god
Posted by RobOne4, Fri Jan-17-20 12:35 AM
none of the trailers have looked good to me. I was planning on seeing it anyway just off the strength of the first two. But wasnt excited about it.
737737, thank god
Posted by RobOne4, Fri Jan-17-20 12:35 AM
none of the trailers have looked good to me. I was planning on seeing it anyway just off the strength of the first two. But wasnt excited about it.
737743, fam go out and see this. they got some shit up in there.
Posted by Reeq, Fri Jan-17-20 06:00 PM
i dont even wanna vaguely touch upon anything cuz i want it to be as fresh as possible for yall.

i just wanna say that this is the rare (nowadays) example where the trailers leave a lot out and dont do the movie justice. they really saved the best for the flick.

this was nicely done and heart felt. and a reminder what real chemistry looks like on screen.

trust me that you will be rewarded for your 2 hours.
737744, blew my (low) expectations out of the water
Posted by benny, Sat Jan-18-20 04:27 PM
had no idea this was coming out until 3 weeks ago and didn't think I'd go see it but then a couple decent twitter mentions from critics made me reconsider. I don't want to over-sell it but IMO they kinda knocked it out of the park, esp compared to all the lukeward nostalgia-fueled follow-ups we've had to endure recently. Great action with set pieces that feel grounded and not taken over by CGI, dope villains (Jacob Scipio has real charisma, he's a find) and side characters that aren't just cardboard cutouts. Of course the Smith/Lawrence dynamic is what this movie rides or dies on, and the writing manages to incorporate their age and different life situations smoothly; many of the jokes are cliched but everything feels organic and earned. Both actors are great, I can't recall the last time I enjoyed a Will Smith performance this much, and yet Lawrence is clearly the soul of the movie.

Will be interesting to see what Bay does with BB4, this one definitely breathes a shot of life into the franchise, but the outcome going forward into clear either
737748, DJ Khaled beaten with a meat tenderizer. Would watch again.
Posted by JFrost1117, Sun Jan-19-20 03:15 PM
737756, This was SO good. I’m so happy for the actors and franchise
Posted by CherNic, Mon Jan-20-20 04:07 PM
Like....WOW. Very well done. I laughed. I almost cried. I cringed a lil bit. But mostly my heart was legit full at the chemistry between Will & Martin. January release = bust, my ass
737757, That shit was super dope. Probably gonna see it again soon
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Mon Jan-20-20 06:20 PM
737765, WAY BETTER than I thought it would be!
Posted by KnowOne, Tue Jan-21-20 12:24 PM
n/m
737766, Good for a January release. Martin's fun.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Jan-21-20 12:27 PM
The action is mostly blah-- as if they're trying to replicate Bay's gorgeous and obscenely indulgent what the fuckery but tried cutting down on the shamelessness, which is kind of the thing that makes Bay movies memorable. Same with the jokes, really-- I wondered if they shot a PG-13 version and then added a few R-rated scenes later, because it felt like a lot of the swearing was relegated to a few scenes.

But overall, it's fine. Largely because Martin is absolutely in the zone here. I also liked the big tech guy who endorses therapy. I think if it'd come out in the summer, it would've been received more as "just okay," but when something that's not bad comes out in January, it feels like a godsend. But nothing here matches the "holy shit ode to everything terrible about America" absurdity of Bad Boys 2.
737771, Based on the reviews in here, I would have thought you'd really dig this
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Tue Jan-21-20 08:02 PM
Did the movie hold back too much from going full HAM? If it would have dove into the deep end would the zaniness have served the story better?
737772, you wanted them to make 6 underground with black people lol.
Posted by Reeq, Tue Jan-21-20 09:40 PM
737826, Basically.
Posted by bwood, Fri Jan-24-20 10:36 AM
I'm glad this franchise has grown up and they address that head-on in the film.

It's actually why most people love it. Has all the Bay hallmarks without the juvenile bullshit that accompanies his work.
737827, agreed..
Posted by Reeq, Fri Jan-24-20 11:40 AM
737770, All-time great shitty movie (a big compliment, btw). Happy for all involved.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Tue Jan-21-20 06:01 PM

What a fun, unhinged bundle of action and joy.

And it had the nerve to have an actual wrinkle that we
didn't see coming that was entertaining and made sense.

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "
737863, eh, the humor left much to be desired. Basically just a series of old jokes.
Posted by Deebot, Tue Jan-28-20 03:55 PM
Original still the best, sorry.
737956, RE: Bad Boys For Life
Posted by SuiteLady, Sat Feb-08-20 10:07 PM
I am not sure if I want to see this, but I probably will.
737959, Enjoyable fun. AMMO was bland, CBS Network TV bullshit though
Posted by Cold Truth, Sun Feb-09-20 01:57 AM
Will and Martin are a fantastic duo. I dig the overall story and love the twist, especially at the very end. I saw a lot of Lethal Weapon 4 in here, and I think this one handled the aging action cop trope in a less cheeky, though still thoroughlyendearing way. It also helps that Mike and Marcus are still relatively young, compared to Riggs and Murtaugh.

I have a gripe, it's that this had a chance to be a more grounded, smaller scope iteration to rival the Fast series, but they didn't go all in.

Will and Martin do the heavy lifting and keep us glued to them. But after them, it gets weak character wise.

I like that they added a support team, but I absolutely hate the casting of them. Even the goofy ass white dude, who was admittedly fun. All these cats felt like one-shot Dexter characters, or the CSI B Team.

Speaking of CBS: Jay Hernandez would have been great for this. Or anything, really, but he would have made a nice addition here on the support team.

Instead of quality, living, breathing supporting characters like we have in Fast, we got bland, run of the mill caricatures. That I enjoyed this so much is a testament to the charisma and chemistry of Will and Martin, because they elevated this in a big way.
738011, the supporting actors in the first two films were WAY better
Posted by CherNic, Sun Feb-16-20 01:10 PM
Where was Fletcher for some comic relief?
738013, Yep Fletcher and spanish guys not being in this is a fail
Posted by Heinz, Sun Feb-16-20 06:17 PM

----------

IG @erichrigonan
738003, Fun but compared to the first 2 this the writine is really bad
Posted by Heinz, Sat Feb-15-20 06:25 PM
This feels like a good interpretation of what the first 2 movies were but not quite hitting the mark

Did Will have a lot to do with getting the script "right"?

----------

IG @erichrigonan
738015, I didn't know they did a spin-off tv show with Union and Alba
Posted by Heinz, Sun Feb-16-20 06:32 PM
https://youtu.be/xuUYdMe9-SI

Fletcher is in this show

I hope Will and them didn't settle on Bad Boys for Life script jsut to line up with this show.

Bad Boys 3 feels like a cover band rather than the original. Its fun and all, and has its moments but man, when its bad. its really bad. Michael Bay doing him impression of Tony Scott needs to be the only impression happening in this movie and tv show.

----------

IG @erichrigonan