Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectthis show's gonna go down as one of the greats. no doubt
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=735779&mesg_id=736881
736881, this show's gonna go down as one of the greats. no doubt
Posted by araQual, Mon Nov-25-19 05:17 AM
so glad i randomly caught the pilot 4yrs ago online.
still haven't seen ep8 yet so i'm gonna post then dip, but i personally LOVE Vera and Elliott's interactions. was pretty chuffed they brought him back at the end of s3. seeing em together again is dope, cos their dialogue is usually high-falutin and there's always more than one thing going on when they communicate.

Vera turning out to be the *most* empathetic person to help Elliott deal with the revelations of his father was amazing. despite his actions, and the killing of Shayla, he comes up as being the *only* one to truly get Elliott's pain in that moment. the speech he gives, before he's unceremoniously killed, is phenomenal. i actually thought they were gonna throw another curve at us by having both of em make out lol. it honestly felt like they were getting that close to each other, emotionally and physically.
i'm actually sad to see him go cos Villar played the FOCK outta that character. dude was altogether menacing, friendly, empathetic & threatening. just a jumble of archetypes to the point that u don't know what he's gonna do or say at any given moment.

i do have a *slight* problem with the major revelation, though. it completely shits on the father figure to irredeemable levels. whereas before we got hints here and there that his dad wasn't exactly father of the year, & his mother seemed to cop most of the blame for the shitty child-rearing. but to have his dad be revealed as the *ultimate* toxic white male? in this climate? smacks too much of hollywood agenda. i was hoping this show would skip shit like this completely, but man, soon as we were halfway through the revelation i was like....nooooooo lol.

on the *other* hand, it makes perfect narrative sense. if y'all know anything about schizoid minds and mind control in general, the basic premise is that you can segment and compartmentalise the human brain through some form of trauma, the most potent of which is sexual. Elliott is basically a victim of the same shit that mk ultra victims went through, exhibiting loss of memory, control of their own bodies and minds because a trauma-based alter was created and/or invoked. it's more fucked up in Elliott's case cos the alter that's trying to shield him from the ugly truth is also the perpetrator.

Rami, though. jeesus louises. give him more awards, plz. he already got one for this show but...dang. just for ep7 ALONE. his reactions to the truth. his facial contortions. good god.

bout to smoke a bowl n pop on ep8.

V.