Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI think BB built in a similar way- with one huge exception.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=735711&mesg_id=741347
741347, I think BB built in a similar way- with one huge exception.
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu May-06-21 03:24 PM
BCS hits the ground running and never stops, whereas S1 of BB was a comparatively much slower, and less interesting build, than what we get from BCS.

After that, I see the two shows doing the same relative crescendo. It just builds, builds, builds, until it peaks, and then it ends.

Part of what makes that so appealing in BCS, I think, is because we're seeing the evolution of these characters Into the ones we knew from BB.

To that end, they built everyone in a way that, while we know exactly who they will be, still provides a sense of urgency.

Spoilers

Watching these final pieces of Jimmy flicker out, while Saul takes over, is gut wrenching. Because I love Jimmy. And I love Kim. And Kim loves Jimmy. And while I know full well what Saul is all about, watching this character shift is such a compelling journey, and Jimmy is a very empathetic character, while Saul is.... less so.

Watching the Gus and Hector feud develop still has an edge to it, despite know how this ends.

Mike Saving Saul in S5 was fucking bananas. And that's a touch of magic, I think, to be able provide those kinds of moments despite the fact that much of the audience already knows, more or less, the end result.

Though I'd still argue that things like the Kettlemans, Jimmy building the Sandpiper case from damn near nothing, and the eventual Jimmy/Chuck showdown are as good as anything we get in BB. Anything.

Jimmy and Chuck's court scene is right there with Walt and Hank coming to a head, IMO.

Kim's explosive response to Howard after the will is on par with anything Skylar did in BB.

To that end, much like BB, this is building to a crescendo that is as engaging as anything on TV.