Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI really liked this
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=735606&mesg_id=736056
736056, I really liked this
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Sun Sep-22-19 06:21 PM
The special effects were great and the moon buggy scene was really well done. I liked how the scene incorporated the natural laws of physics.

Brad was excellent. He really carried the emotional weight of the story. He sold the heaviness of the loneliness he carried with him through life.

******* SPOILER *******

I liked how the basic premise of the story was that its good for Roy (men) to get in touch with their emotions and emptiness surrounding the lack of love from their fathers. Take for instance, the scene where Roy decides to speak from his heart rather than act stoically. He did something unexpected and in a way desperate, but his openness was rewarded.

I wish the scenes with Roy and his father were a bit more satisfying. I don't know enough to know what exactly I expected. Maybe the scene outside of the outpost was that closure. Then again, I heard a review which criticized that aspect of the movie and so my perceptions maybe were biased.

I really liked the scene where he has his confession about the intimacy issues he has.

Ruth Negga was good, as usual. I liked that Roy at least had one ally with him on his mission.

The writing was good as well. The plot didn't have many holes and it created stakes which seemed plausible.

Like the pacing especially. The movie was 2 hours but while it moved along deliberately, it never felt overdrawn.

I'd give it a A-. As I sit with it more, the more I realize how excellent it is.