Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectMulan (Niki Caro, 2020)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=735382
735382, Mulan (Niki Caro, 2020)
Posted by bwood, Sun Jul-07-19 11:36 AM
Shit looks dope as fuck! And colorful too. Where's the dragon though?!

https://youtu.be/01ON04GCwKs
735383, RE: Mulan (Niki Caro, 2020)
Posted by navajo joe, Sun Jul-07-19 04:29 PM
This looks gorgeous
735389, Never saw the animated movie
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Sun Jul-07-19 11:58 PM
But this looks good. Hope it gets some good buzz.
737095, New trailer
Posted by bwood, Thu Dec-05-19 09:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK8FHdFluOQ&feature=youtu.be

Shit looks tuff, but where the fuck is Mushu the dragon?!
737103, I don't fucking get it.
Posted by dagu, Thu Dec-05-19 05:44 PM
I just watched the trailer and it has 54k likes and 17k dislikes. That's ridiculous. I guess Disney should just keep making frame-by-frame remakes of their earlier shit since this isn't what people want. This is the most interested I've been in one of these remakes so far. I love the animated Mulan but that isn't why I'm so interested in this; Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorites and I still haven't seen, not do I have plans to see, the live action remake.
737117, Two reasons, I think
Posted by CaptNish, Fri Dec-06-19 11:10 AM
>I just watched the trailer and it has 54k likes and 17k
>dislikes. That's ridiculous.

One, people are really mad that they cut the songs. I don't know why because other than "I'll Make a Man Out of You" the rest is really forgettable.

Two, the Hong Kong thing.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/08/mulan-boycott-liu-yifei-hong-kong-protests-police
737122, RE: Two reasons, I think
Posted by dagu, Fri Dec-06-19 01:46 PM
>One, people are really mad that they cut the songs. I don't
>know why because other than "I'll Make a Man Out of You" the
>rest is really forgettable.

You don't like "Reflection?"

And on the topic of songs this is another thing that gives even more reinforcement to my "but why remake it" stance. Why would I want to hear Emma Watson signing the songs I like from Beauty and the Beast? If I want to hear the songs the original movie is still there. The instrumental arrangement of "Reflection" in this trailer sounds great and the inclusion of elements from the original legend are just the type of change that make a remake worth it to me. Not adding backstory to try to make Gaston more sympathetic or casting Kevin Hart as Mushu (because you know that's what it was going to be).

>Two, the Hong Kong thing.

I thought about the Hong Kong thing but when I watched the trailer yesterday and scanned the comments I didn't see any mention of it.
739187, Coming to Disney+ on 9/4 but...
Posted by bwood, Fri Aug-07-20 12:53 PM
...you have to pay $30 on top of the Disney+ subscription.
739283, It's a purchase though. It would cost meabout $25 for 3 tickets
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Aug-21-20 01:58 AM
Adding up the concessions, it would be a roughly $60 outing, and since my daughter is all in on this, I'd be copping the day it dropped for 19.99 anyways.

All things considered, $30 for a purchase, under the current circumstances, is a decent price.
739284, it seems like people are split as singles vs. families
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Aug-21-20 07:30 PM
single people who share netflix subscriptions are like yooo $30 wtf

meanwhile parents with 2 or 3 kids are like...just $30 and I can get the kids to shut the fuck up for a couple of hours? I'M IN

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
739402, It will be available to the rest of us Disney+ subscribers 12/4/2020
Posted by SuiteLady, Sat Sep-05-20 01:41 PM
739446, I think kids will like it
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Sat Sep-12-20 02:36 AM
I normally don't watch Disney content. And because of that, the lack of depth to the story surprised me. But I think kids would like this.

The actor who played Mulan was really good as were all the performances.

The twist with the which was well done I thought.

At the very least it was good to see Asian representation, of both royalty, presents, and villains.
739453, Thought it was really bad.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Sep-14-20 11:53 AM
Maybe the worst of these remakes.

Great cinematography, and Tzi Ma is acting like there's an Oscar on the line. But the action is bland (inexcusable for something trying so hard to be a wuxia homage), the dialogue is dull, and the majority of the actors have little to do.

I think a lot of these remakes have been defined by the choices that make them *different* from the originals. I actually liked the idea of cutting the songs, and making Mulan's love interest a fellow soldier instead of her captain was a smart move... but the witch stuff is all unacceptably bad, as is this idea that Mulan uses Chi like the Force in Star Wars. It feels like a bunch of white Americans writing a movie about China-- which is, y'know, exactly what happened.

Just a huge disappointment.
740009, Agreed.
Posted by bwood, Sat Dec-05-20 07:38 PM
Only thing I disagree on was getting rid of the songs and Mushu the dragon. Otherwise a mistake top to bottom. Holy shit this ROUGH.

If you have a 4K TV that's capable of doing at least HDR10+, this shit is gorgeous.
739457, movie was ASS. Disney aint fumbled this hard in a minute
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Sep-14-20 03:23 PM
739486, how in the world could they not find a Chinese director?
Posted by ternary_star, Thu Sep-17-20 03:57 PM
this is such a crystal clear example of cultural representation through a White filter. which, I guess is typical Disney.
739497, well, they *could.*
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Sep-19-20 12:46 AM
or at *least* find Chinese writers.

they just didn't try. and it shows in the movie.
739977, The rest of us Disney+ subs can watch it today!
Posted by SuiteLady, Fri Dec-04-20 08:55 AM