Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectMIDSOMMAR (Ari Aster, 2019)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=735349
735349, MIDSOMMAR (Ari Aster, 2019)
Posted by bwood, Wed Jul-03-19 04:01 PM
So many dudes are not going to like this film. And I guarantee that they're shitty people.

I want to find Ari Aster a grief counselor.

I liked this better than HEREDITARY. *shrug*
735350, RE: MIDSOMMAR (Ari Aster, 2019)
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Jul-03-19 06:11 PM
>I liked this better than HEREDITARY. *shrug*

Is this an endorsement of just how good Midsommar is? Or just that for as hyped as Hereditary was that the director took another step forward with Midsommar?

I'm not into horror / creepy movies but I LOVED Hereditary and if I kept a top 10 list it would have made it and been towards the top. So, if you're saying that Midsommar is better than a great movie than I'd have to make an appointment to see this.
735351, RE: MIDSOMMAR (Ari Aster, 2019)
Posted by bwood, Wed Jul-03-19 07:21 PM
I thought Hereditary was just good. Not as amazing as everyone else thought.
735352, Gotcha
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Jul-03-19 11:54 PM
735360, Not a good movie overall
Posted by Deebot, Thu Jul-04-19 01:22 PM
and waaayyyyyyyyy too similar to Hereditary. First half is quite strong, then becomes more silly than scary/unsettling. Completely empty and predictable ending. Way too reliant on grotesque imagery than anything else to try to evoke horror. This film was in need of more genuine emotion to really drive it, but what we got was pretty lazy and undercooked.

Not completely worthless, but littered with flaws.
735363, Completely agreed. Left me cold, tbh.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Jul-05-19 12:12 AM
Great cast, great visuals, and one of the best shroom representations on screen that I’ve ever seen... but it’s way too long, way too predictable, way too drawn out, and ultimately kind of up its own ass.
735364, btw, don't see this movie with a new date
Posted by Deebot, Fri Jul-05-19 08:55 AM
for multiple reasons, but there is one *long* scene in particular that is just insanely awkward. So glad I went by myself lol.
735368, Well...Hereditary was ass, so we'll see
Posted by tully_blanchard, Fri Jul-05-19 02:22 PM

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/

The Greatest Story (N)ever Told (finished)
http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id
735372, One of the worst movies I've ever seen in a theater
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Sat Jul-06-19 05:39 AM
I'd guess 10% of the theater walked out before it was done.

Dumb slow. 1.5 hrs of the movie is just watching the commune/cult live their day to day life. Eating, singing, dancing. I got the vibe quick. They are different and kind of weird. I don't know why the movie had to spend so much time on this.

Characters just disappear in this increasingly creepy environment, but no one really cares lol.

It seemed like the director put all his energy into the backdrop of the movie and forgot to write a story.

736138, I liked this. *shrug*
Posted by Reeq, Sun Sep-29-19 04:29 PM
736552, I liked this one quite a bit
Posted by Mgmt, Sun Nov-03-19 02:55 AM
>So many dudes are not going to like this film. And I
>guarantee that they're shitty people.
>
>I want to find Ari Aster a grief counselor.
>
>I liked this better than HEREDITARY. *shrug*

The only problem is the unrealistic expectations put onto an “auteur”/artsy director. Taken as a standard solid horror (unknown young actors travel somewhere they shouldn’t and then get taken out one by one), the unique setting really stands out and serves its creepy purpose.

Reminded me of Suspira and TCM and also The Witch.

Yall can get the hell on somewhere
740231, in the "liked it" group
Posted by will_5198, Tue Dec-29-20 08:41 PM
it's obvious where everything is heading from the start, which is a credit to Aster for still finding ways to stun me

a master of mood...the whole film occupies this uncomfortable place that is hard to pinpoint but you feel it nonetheless
740246, Thought it was super dope
Posted by Bambino Grande, Wed Dec-30-20 06:17 PM
740266, liked it
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Fri Jan-01-21 09:15 PM
didn't know what to expect, thought it was pretty good