Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectBook spoiler Re: Generational pain
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=735206&mesg_id=739127
739127, Book spoiler Re: Generational pain
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Jul-27-20 01:51 AM
>It's not nearly as stylish but I feel like the
>newly developed characters really hold their own. The movie
>surprised me in the nuanced way that it portrayed generational
>pain.

One aspect from the book that I think would have made the film stronger, is that Abra turns out to be Danny's niece. There's a subplot regarding her mother and grandmother that tie that together quite well, and figure heavily in the end. That's a lot to include, so they may not have been able to come up with a way to add that relationship that felt earned.

The movie fine with out it, but that worked out well in the book, and I think it would have been a weightier element in the movie, particularly in regard to generational pain.

Plus there's other shit, like Abra making her first point of contact with Dan either as an infant, well before she does in the movie. Dan's sobriety coincides with her birth, as she turns 15 while he celebrates 15 years of sobriety. Dan explains the history of the Torrance family, as Abra displays similar Torrance rage, along with the shine, and cautions her against it. It's a very nice bookend to the first.