Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectDoctor Sleep (Mike Flanagan, 2019)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=735206
735206, Doctor Sleep (Mike Flanagan, 2019)
Posted by bwood, Thu Jun-13-19 08:22 PM
I really hope this shit is good.

And I'm glad they changed it to be a sequel to Kubrick's The Shining.

https://youtu.be/2msJTFvhkU4
735207, Not sold on Ewan as Danny. I'm concerned that they'll nerf Abbra
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jun-13-19 09:56 PM
I'm not expecting much from this, particularly since the book was a homerun that added considerable depth to the story, characters, and world of The Shining.

I have a sinking feeling that this is going to mute all the wrong things, Abbra in particular. I think they'll shy away from the more unsavory elements of adult Danny.

I bet they have some generic, soulless version of Crow Daddy, and Rose will be an overly campy Disney stepmother type.

I fully expect a generic, uninspired, neutered mess.

This needed to be a miniseries helme by the team that helmed the first season of Mr Mercedes.
735208, trailer didnt do much for me but still looking forward to it.
Posted by Reeq, Fri Jun-14-19 12:03 AM
if flanagan can work some of the same magic he worked during the 'two storms' episode then this could good.

i hope he doesnt spend the film trying to imitate kubrick.
735210, I trust Flanagan, whose work has largely been terrific.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Jun-14-19 11:36 AM
735214, Are you a fan of both books?
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Jun-14-19 10:08 PM
I ask because the Doctor Sleep, while it certainly addresses the original, does so in a very focused and specific way. It's a sequel that builds on the original on key ways, but is still very much it's own story.

A major concern of mine is that this trailer places a rather large focus on the events of the original film, while the original is much more in the cut of DS.

So I'm just curious if your faith in Flanagan also comes with an affinity for the book.
735929, DOCTOR SLEEP - Final Trailer
Posted by j0510, Sun Sep-08-19 08:41 PM
DOCTOR SLEEP - Final Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOzFZxB-8cw
735978, after that new trailer? all. fucking. in.
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Sep-13-19 12:30 AM
They captured so many scenes that looked like the book sprung to life.

Can't wait.
736692, anybody seen this?
Posted by Reeq, Wed Nov-13-19 07:18 AM
736702, yeah. I'm a huge fan the book, and that's a problem
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Nov-13-19 12:46 PM
I have a hard time divorcing that from this.

They got Rose and Abra right. You don't really get the gravity of Abra's power the way you do in the book, or the weight of Rose's feelings about her. But you get enough.

There are several subplots and threads in the book that get cut that flesh out these characters and this world.to that end, the two books of this story is better served with a 16 episode HBO series or some shit.

To that end, this may be a better movie to those going blind to the book. There are points where it feels like they're clearly skipping ahead, but it was hard.for me to tell if this is only apparent because I've gone through that book at least ten times.

I know I have a hard time sorting my critique of the movie itself from how well it adapted the book. I'd call it a decent adaptation, but certainly not a great one.
736779, Fan-fucking-tastic
Posted by bwood, Sun Nov-17-19 02:18 PM
This far exceeded my expectations.

Holy shit I wish this was a hit. It's Blade Runner 2049 all over again.
737143, good job by flanagan.
Posted by Soldado, Sun Dec-08-19 07:27 AM
ive never read the book. so i cant speak from a perspective of how well things were translated from text to film.

but purely as a standalone flick...this was pretty phenomenal.

kyliegh curran was great and should have a long career ahead of her.

minor gripe was the pace/editing of the 1st act. they had a lot to stuff in there and you could tell. a lot of really stark transitions.

but really good all around. especially when things get rolling towards the showdown.

i can see why it flopped tho. direct sequel to a movie from decades ago. and some pretty complex material in the bubblegum horror era.
739122, Oh man. This was unexpectedly good.
Posted by Nopayne, Sun Jul-26-20 12:23 AM
This was a very, very different movie from The Shining which I respect. It's not nearly as stylish but I feel like the newly developed characters really hold their own. The movie surprised me in the nuanced way that it portrayed generational pain. I'm really happy that we didn't spend too much time in the hotel.

The recasting of the main characters were pretty awful though.
739127, Book spoiler Re: Generational pain
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Jul-27-20 01:51 AM
>It's not nearly as stylish but I feel like the
>newly developed characters really hold their own. The movie
>surprised me in the nuanced way that it portrayed generational
>pain.

One aspect from the book that I think would have made the film stronger, is that Abra turns out to be Danny's niece. There's a subplot regarding her mother and grandmother that tie that together quite well, and figure heavily in the end. That's a lot to include, so they may not have been able to come up with a way to add that relationship that felt earned.

The movie fine with out it, but that worked out well in the book, and I think it would have been a weightier element in the movie, particularly in regard to generational pain.

Plus there's other shit, like Abra making her first point of contact with Dan either as an infant, well before she does in the movie. Dan's sobriety coincides with her birth, as she turns 15 while he celebrates 15 years of sobriety. Dan explains the history of the Torrance family, as Abra displays similar Torrance rage, along with the shine, and cautions her against it. It's a very nice bookend to the first.
739142, Terrific movie.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Jul-28-20 11:24 AM
Truly depressing that it bombed so hard at the box office, as it's fantastic.
739143, very solid & don't need a rewatch
Posted by Roadblock, Tue Jul-28-20 01:30 PM
great 1st view.

Tried a 2nd view & it duded. The kid violence got to me
739146, Is the Director's Cut worth seeing, or just the regular?
Posted by JFrost1117, Tue Jul-28-20 06:29 PM
739155, It's worth it
Posted by bwood, Sat Aug-01-20 06:57 AM
More characters development and motivation in the Director's Cut makes it a more rewarding experience.