Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectTerminator: Dark Fate (Tim Miller, 2019)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=735060
735060, Terminator: Dark Fate (Tim Miller, 2019)
Posted by j0510, Wed May-22-19 08:10 PM
November 1, 2019

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7K-27cUEAAqG6O.jpg:large
735063, Terminator: Dark Fate - Official Teaser Trailer (2019)
Posted by j0510, Thu May-23-19 08:05 AM
Terminator: Dark Fate - Official Teaser Trailer (2019)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCyEX6u-Yhs
735069, Cameron helped write and produce some I'm interested
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Thu May-23-19 11:09 AM
I'm also excited for Gabriel Luna as the new Terminator. Dude was good as Ghost Rider on AOS
735071, It'll never not be funny to me that T-800s grow beards
Posted by Nodima, Thu May-23-19 11:55 AM

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
735073, that looked like some network tv shit.
Posted by Reeq, Thu May-23-19 02:56 PM
735074, I'm too lazy to Google this...
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Thu May-23-19 08:48 PM
But how does this movie tie into the timelines of the previous movies in the series?

I never saw any of the movies after III. Is this upcoming movies building upon the existing timeline or is this a one off for a reboot or new story?
735075, RE: I'm too lazy to Google this...
Posted by j0510, Thu May-23-19 10:33 PM
>But how does this movie tie into the timelines of the
>previous movies in the series?
>
>I never saw any of the movies after III. Is this upcoming
>movies building upon the existing timeline or is this a one
>off for a reboot or new story?

Dark Fate is a sequel to T2.

T3, Salvation and Genisys don't exist/didn't happen.
735076, Thanks
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Fri May-24-19 01:26 AM
735815, Terminator: Dark Fate - Official Trailer (2019)
Posted by j0510, Fri Aug-30-19 05:45 AM
Terminator: Dark Fate - Official Trailer (2019)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxy8udgWRmo
735816, I love the terminator franchise, more so with Linda Hamilton
Posted by walihorse, Fri Aug-30-19 07:53 AM
I'm looking forward to it.

I wonder what happened to John.
735818, RE: I love the terminator franchise, more so with Linda Hamilton
Posted by go mack, Fri Aug-30-19 08:43 AM
Furlong was confirmed will be in the movie but hasn't shown him in any trailers so not sure.
735822, the rumour is (potential spoilers i guess?)
Posted by araQual, Sat Aug-31-19 03:52 AM

John dies early in the film. whether it takes place closer to the events in T2 or in present time, i'm not sure (again, it's a rumour, but might explain why we don't see him in any of the promo material). i think they're pretty much replacing him with whoever that chick was in the trailers cos gender-swapping is the thing now and there's always a chick who's "they KEY to EVERYthing!" lol. plus with another new 'female' terminator & Linda back in the saddle, it's looking like another girl-power woke-fest instead of a solid genre story set within an established film universe. thanks hollywood!

it basically looks like trash.
only worthy of a bootleg watch.
can't believe they got the band back together again for this.

V.
735834, can someone make the actual movie in the future
Posted by will_5198, Sat Aug-31-19 07:38 PM
where John Connor saves the world and it's 100 minutes of human resistance and Terminators squaring off?

that's the last and only Terminator movie that needs to be made
735835, ... isn’t that kind of what Salvation is?
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Aug-31-19 10:09 PM
lol, it obviously doesn’t wrap up, but I do think it’s post-Judgment Day.
735838, a *good* movie
Posted by will_5198, Sun Sep-01-19 12:14 AM
Salvation had that stupid "human Terminator from the past" subplot and unsatisfying open ending so they could make a sequel
736530, Anyone see this shit?
Posted by go mack, Thu Oct-31-19 01:14 PM
Is this the official end of this franchise? I heard its pretty terrible but thought would get someone here to verify.
736532, ... it hasn't come out yet. lol.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Oct-31-19 02:44 PM
It comes out tonight. I'm seeing it tonight and will report back.
736541, RE: ... it hasn't come out yet. lol.
Posted by go mack, Fri Nov-01-19 10:34 AM
lol realized that after I posted, for some reason thought it had been out a week already. I just saw a few bad reviews but the trailers really didn't get me amped to see it. Maybe its better than what I fear tho.
736540, It's probably the best sequel out of the last few
Posted by Boogiedwn, Fri Nov-01-19 08:49 AM
It starts to fall apart a little towards the end but it's a good popcorn flick.

736549, I just saw it
Posted by pegao, Fri Nov-01-19 11:16 PM
It was good.. or maybe I was just delirious after working for 10 hours.
736561, it's gonna lose a METRIC TON OF MONEY :)
Posted by handle, Mon Nov-04-19 10:37 AM
https://variety.com/2019/film/box-office/terminator-dark-fate-box-office-flop-1203391309/

The sixth “Terminator” entry debuted with a dismal $29 million in North America and $102 million overseas, disappointing figures for a movie that cost $185 million to produce, plus $80 million to $100 million in global marketing and distribution fees. Unless “Terminator: Dark Fate” sees an exceptionally strong hold in the coming weeks, sources at rival studios estimate the movie could lose $100 million theatrically. It will be able to earn back some of that money in television and streaming licensing deals, as well as through home entertainment sales and rentals.

Seriously: Fuck Arnold and this bullshit remakes/rehash/retread BIG BUDGET films. Make these shits for $40 million and turn a profit - idiots.
736563, this shit looked like something on fox.
Posted by Reeq, Mon Nov-04-19 01:34 PM
im not sure what they spent that $185 million on.
736565, I'm interested in this movie, but...
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Mon Nov-04-19 08:30 PM
I don't see why anyone who isn't a die hard fan being in anyway hyped to see this. Even with Cameron's and Miller's involvment.

Every five or so years, somebody at that production company thinks its a good idea to pull out a Terminator movie and they've all been disappointing. Most people under 35 have no idea that the Terminator series were cutting edge movies, in terms of story and spectacle. They just know them as mediocre movies in which nothing really changes from movie to movie (Salvation excluded)

The action looks great and its great to see Hamilton on screen, but this franchise has run its course. Unfortunately, for us as viewers, it was wronged by poor politics behind the scenes and consistenly bad storytelling. We never got to see how compelling this story could have been.
736587, people would rather tell their friends they saw Joker
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Nov-06-19 03:24 PM
than go see what is apparently an actually good action movie

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
736562, Overtakes Matrix as one of the most mismangaged franchises
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Mon Nov-04-19 11:41 AM
In general, as a long time sci-fi fan since childhood, most time-travel movies aren't done super well.

They should have really realized at this point that telling the same story again and again (much like Star Wars) is just gonna be diminishing returns and introduced new characters and moved the story forward instead of retreading the same ground over and over.

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.
736620, Saw it last night
Posted by walihorse, Fri Nov-08-19 03:20 PM
It was ok.

I'm a fan of the 1st 2 movies and the Sarah Connor Chronicles. Its the same story over and over. I liked Salvation, because at least they weren't in the present/past.

The whole diverging timelines things was cool, but you can get away with nearly anything like that. This movie takes place I guess in an alternate timeless to T3.
736642, Not devoting any effort to seeing it, but I'm with you on this
Posted by Beamer6178, Mon Nov-11-19 09:31 AM

>
>I'm a fan of the 1st 2 movies and the Sarah Connor Chronicles.

739621, Surprisingly solid
Posted by stylez dainty, Tue Oct-13-20 10:40 PM
There's not any new territory here, plot-wise, so it's all depends on the execution and the little touches. This ain't Fury Road or anything, but it's better than your average modern big budget action movie.

Funny, Linda Hamilton was one of my least favorite elements. I guess after Jaimie Lee Curtis in the last Halloween movie and Mark Hammill in the last couple of Star Wars movies, I'm a bit burnt out on the returning grizzled, sarcastic, angry icon. I think it's in part with the way all three played their characters. Seemed forced and over-the-top.

739622, It was def better than the last two.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Oct-13-20 10:50 PM
My problem is how weightless the CGI felt. Not that I expect practical effects at this point... but too many Terminators fighting is a problem when there's no obvious consequence.

I also think no characters reached the necessary development beyond the ones we already knew. Which makes it pretty forgettable. But the action is better than I expected, and same with the effects, all things considered.
739624, Her character didn't develop or anything, but I liked bionic Katy Perry.
Posted by stylez dainty, Tue Oct-13-20 11:27 PM
Really, there was only one really fun, unexpected choice in this, and that was Arnold's character.

One thing that has hurt all of these movies besides the first two is the lack of a terrifying Terminator. The first Terminator is damn near a horror movie, IMO. Then Robert Patrick is unsettling in a whole new way. Since then, they terminators haven't been all awful, but never terrifying.
739638, I really liked the third Terminator, honestly.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Oct-15-20 05:12 PM
The female Terminator is pretty awesome, Mostow's action rips, and the ending is absolutely fantastic.
739639, Yeah, it was probably better than this one
Posted by stylez dainty, Thu Oct-15-20 05:25 PM
While still being pretty far behind the first two.

The female terminator was cool. Just not scary. But I remember it being enjoyable.

One funny thing about all of these sequels is how committed the robots are to such a stupid plan. Maybe it'll work THIS time!
739623, copped this in 4K. it was pretty good
Posted by Rjcc, Tue Oct-13-20 11:19 PM

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at