Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectAny graphic novel heads still around?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=734917
734917, Any graphic novel heads still around?
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Sun May-12-19 01:59 PM
I need some new recommendations. What are the latest titles I should check for?
734918, what type of stuff are you looking for? And how recent?
Posted by mrhood75, Sun May-12-19 02:44 PM
734919, Anything really
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Sun May-12-19 03:00 PM
Most of the titles I own are from Image, Vertigo and Dark Horse. Anything over the past few years I guess. Been a minute since I've seen one of those COTM posts
734925, My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies
Posted by BigWorm, Mon May-13-19 06:30 AM
It's an Image title. I just finished it. It was worth reading.

I mostly read trade paperbacks as opposed to graphic novels, but I read that one and it was solid.
734930, Oh, but of course!
Posted by Scarface_7, Mon May-13-19 09:58 AM
East vs West (best series nobody talks about). Coming to an end soon but it's been a consistent breally fun ride. If you like dystopian fantasy or Saga

Paper Girls like lady led Stranger Things

I love Chew by Layman

The new Kick Ass focused on a Black lady taking up mantle and taking back good, I've enjoyed

Jason Aaron's run on Doctor Strange and everything that has come afterwards

Dan Slott's FF run just started and I'm digging their comeback to the 616

I can keep going....
734932, wait, did you mean trade paperbacks?
Posted by BigWorm, Mon May-13-19 12:24 PM
Cause then I can recommend a lot.

Saga
Low
Gideon Falls
Oblivion Song
East and West
Manifest Destiny
Monstress
Paper Girls
Southern Bastards
Deadly Class
Giant Days

All of them except for Giant Days are Image titles. Giant Days is from Boom. It's more fluff but I really like the characters. It's light hearted and fun.
734942, Thanks for the recommendations! Greatly appreciated 🤘🏾
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Tue May-14-19 08:17 AM
734963, The Vision by Tom King....
Posted by KnowOne, Thu May-16-19 08:51 AM
Its INCREDIBLE and I have never cared about the vision character before.

https://www.amazon.com/Vision-Tom-King/dp/1302908537
734965, good lookin out, my public library has it
Posted by benny, Thu May-16-19 10:29 AM
734992, ^^^ It's great. Also look up Mister Miracle, same author.
Posted by Jayson Willyams, Fri May-17-19 12:07 PM
It's DC, but still feels like a companion piece to Vision. Both are among the best series I've read in years.
734993, Im mad DC locked Tom King down.....
Posted by KnowOne, Fri May-17-19 02:33 PM
though it was a smart move! But Id love to see what he would do with more Marvel characters.
734988, My favorite current writer for creator-owned stuff is Si Spurrier
Posted by lonesome_d, Fri May-17-19 10:49 AM
books tend to mix genres together, works with a wide variety of artists that can affect the feel of a book enormously, and tends to write in six-issue complete stories (which I love). Apparently he's writing for Marvel now which is a bit of a disappointment, but if the libraries get any of his trades in I'll check them out. I'm more interested in his work on the Jim Henson properties though.

Of the creator-owned stuff:

I remember really liking the issues of Gutsville that came out, but that was over ten years back and was never finished.

Top pick: The Spire is high sci-fi/fantasy, a little dense but I loved it.

Second: Six-Gun Gorilla was the first of his more recent spate to get my attention, sci-fi Western with a talking gorilla who carries guns. MrHhood75's argument that talking primates can make any book better holds true.

Third: current book CODA, high fantasy political intrigue, sort of.

Also:

Weavers is a fantasy mobster noir.

Angelic is pretty much family-friendly dystopian sci-fi, genetically modified and technologically enhanced animals that survived humanity's last war. My tweens loved it. I thought it was very good.

Cry Havoc is fantasy/war. Good, and brutal.

734989, Other creator-owned things I've really liked over the past few years
Posted by lonesome_d, Fri May-17-19 11:46 AM
Wild's End, aptly described as Wind in the Willows meets War of the Worlds. Outstanding.

Warren Ellis was hitting it out of the park with both The Injection and Trees. Unfortunately he ran out of steam on both and they stopped mid-arc.

As did Black Monday Murders. Hickman is maddening. I wish he'd stick to 6 or so issue arcs... his early stuff was so tight and his longer form has just been tough to stick with. Still should be some good trades available for several of his books.

I also am really enjoying Isola, another high fantasy book from Image. Writer is Brenden Fletcher.

All this reminds me I should be getting to the shop more often... have largely given it up over the past 9 months.At one point the shop called me because there was so much stuff in my pull file.