Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRE: Ang Lee has so much range as a filmmaker
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=734457&mesg_id=736288
736288, RE: Ang Lee has so much range as a filmmaker
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Fri Oct-11-19 06:00 PM
>i'm not sure
>why that is except maybe he's not all up in the videos,
>dancing...

LOL

I too don't think much of Lee or his movies for whatever reason. His movies are consistently good to great, which would normally bring a lot of attention to a director and their films. But he doesn't have a myth about his personality or his method. He's really low key in that sense which is refreshing. He's 'about the movies' but not in a curmudgeonly way that comes off as a bit pretentious like Nolan's or Tarantino's gripings at changes in film culture.

He's really in a class of his own with his impulse to seamlessly use innovative filmmaking technology and incorporate it into films with great storytelling. The directors who are in the same balgame - Cameron, Spielburg, Nolan, I guess Lucas when he made films - made larger films mostly but didn't have Lee's knack to get great performances from their actors. Lee uses cutting edge techniques but his stories always are in the forefront and not the dazzle the technology offers.

I think in a better world, movie journalists are talking about Lee and his craft more than about DC movies sucking.