Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectLOL. NO. You- not "someone"- missed, well... everything.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=734416&mesg_id=734600
734600, LOL. NO. You- not "someone"- missed, well... everything.
Posted by Cold Truth, Sat Apr-27-19 11:52 AM
>>Cap is the peak of what a man can be. He's fully realized,
>>unlocked human potential.
>
>No, he's the best of our *morals*
>
>That's the entire point of the character

No, the "entire point" of the character is... the entirety of the character. You don't get to dismiss other, equally critical elements of the character that don't fit the narrow view needed to make your point. to What's funny about this, and your usually pompous demeanor in particular, is the fact that this in no way conflicts with what I said.

Because the "best of our *morals*" sits under the umbrella of "The peak of what a man can be. He's fully realized, unlocked human potential."

Further, note that no aspect of my critique takes issue with Sam's ability to carry the symbolic character mantle, from a moral standpoint, of Captain America.

You're arguing against a statement that literally encompasses the point you tried to make, and made no argument against it. Which begs the question: What's the issue here?

>Him passing it on was a lifelong thank you to
>Sam's decency, dependability, and upholding the
>truest essence of Cap

Cool story. I mean that; it's a cool story. A great one, even. I like that as a story. This is the second point that you made that doesn't make so much as a dent in anything you're attempting (poorly) to rebut.

Given that your header was that I "missed the point of Captain America", you have in no way made the case that I somehow missed the point of this character. I could see if you addressed my actual criticism, but all you did was argue against a point that I never made.

>It'll obviously not be that simple.

I hope not. That doesn't change my trepidation before the fact.

To be clear, that trepidation would dissolve in an instant if this issue is addressed, because I do agree that there is a compelling story to be told. I do have faith in them to handle this well, but I have reservations.

>But him giving
>Sam the shield was a quiet shout out that Sam has low
>been the most ride or die dude of all them

Agreed, and I like that aspect of the passing of the torch. But that's not my critique.

>LOL @ Bucky, dude has been a terrorist for most of his
>life

Either is equally suited as a successor, and either is problematic, for different reasons. I in no way argue that Bucky is better to carry that banner. Give Sam Bucky's abilities and skillset and there is no discussion to be had here. I'd have have no reservations.

Personally I'd prefer Bucky to flesh out that White Wolf mantle as an adopted brother of T'Challa/son of Wakanda.