Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectPhoenix is great. Having said that, fuck this movie
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=734238&mesg_id=736229
736229, Phoenix is great. Having said that, fuck this movie
Posted by BigWorm, Mon Oct-07-19 06:09 AM
The twist(s)? Obvious. Zazi Beetz? Wasted. Robert De NIro? Ugh.

SPOILER TERRITORY
NO REALLY, SPOILERS

About not-so-recent the remake of Carrie, Stephen King expressed disappointment. What they got wrong was the idea that when Carrie's power was unleashed, it was mostly used to get revenge on everyone who wronged her. King's point in the book, which the original movie depicts, is that once you unleash the beast, everyone feels the wrath. The guilty and the innocent. The Joker is an psychopathic villain. VILLAIN. Not a man with an unclear mental illness who murders the people who have wronged him. What the movie was missing was the point at which he crosses the line and started killing innocent people. People who DON'T have it coming. As much as it would have darkened the tone even more, if he had killed Zazi Beetz character and her kid (although, IMO, it is subtly implied, but not clearly enough to alter the direction of the movie--I can say more if anyone actually reads this), we would get a man who went off the deep end and developed a moral compass that the audience could no longer get behind. What we get is revenge that seem justified even in its brutality. IN TODAY'S CLIMATE WE DO NOT NEED THAT SHIT.

Jaquin Phoenix gives an amazing performance. But this is not the Joker that I wanted. At all. I'll even take Leto's pimped out Joker over this.