Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectmeh
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=734238&mesg_id=734252
734252, meh
Posted by BigWorm, Wed Apr-03-19 02:02 PM
The cinematography looks great, the color palette looks great. BUT

I still think it's a mistake to go into The Joker's backstory. The Dark Knight showed that he is far more menacing when you don't know anything about where he came from or how he became the crazy MF he is now.

AT LEAST Nicholson's Joker was a dirty henchman before he became the Joker. He fell into the vat and lost his mind, but there was nothing sympathetic about it--just a bad guy becomes an insane, vicious bad guy.

While I don't think this falls into the MAGA/right wing area that the above poster thinks (I also disagree about Taxi Driver; even as the protagonist, I at least never lost sight of the fact that Travis Bickle was mentally unstable, not a martyr or fighting the good fight--which is why the climax was bloody and horrific, not shot like an action flick), I do think we've seen enough of the average white dude beat down so much that he snaps and rages out on everyone. I already saw Falling Down. I'm good.