Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectAn interesting mixed bag
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=733621&mesg_id=733623
733623, An interesting mixed bag
Posted by navajo joe, Sun Feb-17-19 10:42 AM
There is a lot I really liked about this. The performances range from good to excellent with rare exception (Adult Ben is trash), the production design is insane, and it's fucking cool and weird and dopey in mostly the right amounts.

Unfortunately I checked in and out because despite a 10 episode order it feels overlong and suffers from some of the weaknesses of the weaker seasons of CW shows. Also, the needle drops range from 'oh, cool' to 'oh god again'.

It's a show that wears its references on its sleeves and that's fine with me as it bends them enough to make them unique or interesting more often than not. There are even some weird ones like two very direct/obvious Cormac McCarthy references.

As the OP says, its very reminiscent of Watchmen but without the weight or self-importance. Instead of being about the nature of superheros and fascism and shit it's about family and being different and failure.

Shoutout to WETA for Pogo it's crazy to see that level of SFX in a 'TV' show.

I'm not waiting with baby's breadth but I do hope this gets a second season