Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjecti don't really care if its a remake
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=732681&mesg_id=735419
735419, i don't really care if its a remake
Posted by hardware, Mon Aug-05-19 01:07 PM
i just don't like style clashing

they supposed to be singing and dancing, so you either have to stylize it or take out the singing and dancing cause its not gonna work. There's a suspension of disbelief you have to have in a musical to make it believable so it works on the stage and in a cartoon because what you're looking at is a metaphor. In a live action movie, you're looking at slightly heightened reality. Its not separated enough from actual reality so fantastical elements don't work without seeing the seams of moviemaking.

Aladdin did an ok job because they treated it more like a stage play, or at least it looked like it, they could have leaned a lot harder on it, imo.

for me its more about what serves the concept.

i think computer animation has come a long way in terms of style. Shrek looks ugly, but Trolls looks good. I remember when Kung Fu Panda came out and it actually had squash and stretch which was missing from all of Dreamworks previous work. After that CG got a lot more expressive and people got to experiment with more styles so it all doesn't look the same now. I think Spiderverse is going to end up being another turning point. That movie got a lot right. If you pick up the art book you can see how close they stayed to even the pre production sketches.

realism on the other hand has so many variables. most of the time artists will get a shot with crazy lighting and have to basically do their best to have a bunch of cg shit try and fit in on a short time or just have nothing to go on like the last fight scene in Black Panther. The same team worked on Endgame.