Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectPet Sematary (Kevin Kölsch, Dennis Widmyer, 2019)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=732105
732105, Pet Sematary (Kevin Kölsch, Dennis Widmyer, 2019)
Posted by j0510, Wed Oct-10-18 08:22 PM
Pet Sematary (2019)- Official Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VllcgXSIJkE
732112, Trailer doesn't give me much hope
Posted by stylez dainty, Thu Oct-11-18 10:22 AM
I like John Lithgow's performance in the trailer, but the rest seemed pretty dour and generic. The creepy kids l masks is getting really, really tired.

Also, I understand this is a weird complaint, but this creepy ancient forest doesn't look like its even older than I am. Doesn't make it seem very foreboding.

And how lazy can they be to not even look up the proper spelling of cemetery?
732113, The misspelling is intentional
Posted by McDeezNuts, Thu Oct-11-18 10:32 AM
>And how lazy can they be to not even look up the proper
>spelling of cemetery?

It's the same as the Stephen King source novel, which is intentionally misspelled because kids made the sign.
732114, your name is misspelled
Posted by howisya, Thu Oct-11-18 10:36 AM
732115, I was just kidding, but I am impressed at how polite your response was
Posted by stylez dainty, Thu Oct-11-18 11:01 AM
732127, I have high hopes for this
Posted by Paps_Smear, Fri Oct-12-18 09:19 AM
Although the trailer didn't show spoil too much, what I did see was very accurate to what I'm familiar with from the book, which is one of my favorite King novels and a depressing and dreadful book. It's almost like a guilty pleasure to read it and it looks like they captured the atmosphere.

The OG movie while it was decent to me at the time doesn't hold up anymore when I watch it save for a few scenes. Looks like they're heading in the right direction with this.
733505, Pet Sematary (2019) - Trailer 2
Posted by j0510, Thu Feb-07-19 09:24 AM
Pet Sematary (2019) - Trailer 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK0LNzU2TQI
733507, THIS TRAILER SPOILS SOMETHING MAJOR
Posted by Paps_Smear, Thu Feb-07-19 02:00 PM
I wish I didn't watch it when I did because I would have rather experienced that in theaters. I have no fucking idea why they would do this!

It's one of my favorite King books and one of my top horror books at that. Shit kept me up at night and was honestly frighting, way more than the OG movie. If you want to feel like a horrible person and lose some hours of sleep with some of the shit that happens being on your mind read it. Looks like the movie is going in that direction.
733508, funny, I thought the book was more tragic than scary
Posted by BigWorm, Thu Feb-07-19 02:47 PM
And I read it as a kid. Looking back on it, I appreciated more as a story how far a man will go to save his family from mortality, and the dark consequences.

Evil cat, evil boy, all that shit didn't really scare me. Although I was kind of impressed/disturbed at how well King developed his characters, only to kill them off. Like, you really want everyone to make it out alive and them.

But I'm into it. I dig this Stephen King cinematic revival going on. I only wonder if they can really play up the emotional/psychological element to it, since by today's horror standards the body count is a little low. I feel like they have to hit a Hereditary level of creepiness to make this work.
733509, The scary for me was how tragic it was
Posted by Paps_Smear, Thu Feb-07-19 03:16 PM
The tone of the whole book just made you feel how dark this thing was getting the deeper you got into it. He tried to do all the right things and it ended up being so wrong. Dude had a great family and really meant well but it all came crumbling down on him, and the burial ground was the force that kept making people do the unthinkable. Judd told Lewis about it in the first place because the burial ground wanted him to. It's like a calling that causes people to do the unspeakable.

Not sure if you seen the trailer first but if you decide to watch you'll know what I mean when I say they shouldn't have spoiled that. Would have been an "oh wow" moment for those that are familiar with the story.

733513, I avoided it after I saw your post
Posted by BigWorm, Fri Feb-08-19 08:57 AM
It's not another Avengers: Endgame trailer, so I could comfortably skip it without feeling any temptation.

I don't know if I'll catch this in the theater or not. I've been pleased with these new Stephen King adaptations, but this one is a tough sell for me. If you can believe it, I didn't even watch the first adaptation from back in the day. I didn't think they could do the book justice.